painting over black??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i just just moved into a new house and the stairs banister and spindles have been painted gloss black, what is the best way to paint it white?? sand it, primer it or just go straight on with the white???

Sponsored Links
Hello there,

give it a light sand to get rid of any nibs and bumps, wipe down with white spirit with a lint free cloth to get rid of dust, leave to dry and undercoat. Don't apply too thick a coat as this will cause runs. If the black is flashing through too much repeat the process, once the paint has dried, as before until no black is flashing through. Then, give a light sand, wipe etc and gloss.

Hope this helps

Dave

I'd agree completely with the above post.

I find one of the best undercoats to be the cheapest. It's Wilkos Drip Resisting. Because it doesn't drip you can apply it as a thicker coat without it sagging.

Personally i'd go for a waterbased undercoat, it drys quicker and you can get the whole job done in a day. The non drip stuff can run if you put a thick enough application and it drys quicker than normal stuff, so any back painting will cause brush marks so you have to work quicker than normal oil based paints. If that does happen dip the tip of the brush into a little white spirit and work into the brush marked area (providing it hasn't dried too much) and it will sort out and resettle the paint. But do not saturate the brush with spirits or you will defo get runs lol

D

Sponsored Links
Waterbased paints suffer from high surface tension and brush marks are inevitable. Oil based undercoats are way more efficient. With a little practice you get perfect results every time.

Not only that acrylics don't stick well to gloss but oils do.

Yep agree with all that, just quicker thats all.

Joe-90 I've got a thread on this section about papering over fibreboard, i'm thinking of reboarding over the top a and skimming. I'll be putting a post on the correct section, any advice would be appreciated.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back