Painting over previously stained skirting boards - primer vs zinsser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My house currently has pine skirting boards and architraves which have been stained with some almost orange coloured stain. As you can imagine it is hideous and i want to get rid of it. The skirtings and architraves are all about 20 years old and have been installed since house build. I have rubbed back all the skirting boards with 120 grit and have now given an initial coat with Leyland Trade Wood Primer. However, subsequent to putting this initial coat on, i understand that i should have first coated the wood with something like Zinsser Bin to prevent bleed through and knots leakage. To avoid me having to completely strip the skirtings back, could i key back the initial coat of leyland primer and then apply a coat of zinsser over this? Would this then provide a good base for any subsequent undercoats and top coats? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you don't mind waiting, do one coat of finishing paint and leave it for a few months.
Then you'll see which knots need treating.
Sand only these points down to the wood, use a knotting solution and then primer and paint.
To finish it off do the second coat to the whole skirting.
Basically, delay the second coat of paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back