Painting over render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bonjour,

i have to re-render some of my exterior wall with high build. Some of it is flaky and i can rub, stabilise, and high build ok, however theres uneven bits i want to put high build on that has sound smooth render on it.

my question is - on the sound parts of the wall do i need to key it somehow before applying stabilising solution?

or should i just put the high build directly on?

or just put the stabilising solution on top of the smooth render then apply thehigh build

thanks

Sponsored Links
Zampa?

Ok I'll ask the question this way.

Q. Is it ok to put stabiliser onto sound smooth painted surfeces before applying highbuild, or should i agressively key it?

Stabiliser wont act as a key. Stabiliser should only be used when the substrate remains dusty after prep. I've used highbuild strait ontop of sound smooth masonry paints without keying and no problem. (it sticks like **** ;)
If you use stabiliser onto a sound surface,it will make the wall toooo glossy, then when you apply paint/highbuild, I think you will be dissapointed to see it flaking/ peeling off whithin 12/18 months. I would touch in the dusty area's only with stabiliser.

Hope this helps
John ..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back