Painting over soot stained walls

• Thread starter Deleted member 15266
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15266

Hi working hard to remove soot stains from walls. Textured wallpaper that has been painted over a lot with matt paint in the past. Asking around there are differing opinions whether to undercoat with Zinsser Bin or just eggshell paint. Would ideally like a scrubbable matt as a top coat. Any advice appreciated as can’t get an available painter.

Sponsored Links
You can get BIN tinted to your final colour if you want. The base is white though, so colour matches wont be perfect.

It is more expensive than eggshell paint but extremely durable (more so than eggshell), and like water based eggshell it will not yellow. The sheen level is lower than eggshell, very "nearly" looking like matt.

I have used it to paint whole room walls in the past. There are some caveats though. You will not be able to use foam rollers. The alcohol in BIN causes the foam to expand. I once used a foam mini roller, it doubled in length and became very floppy. I now use purdy or wooster non foam mini rollers. It is very thin, so consider using a decent quality mini roller when painting the walls rather than a 9" roller to reduce the risk of runs or excess splatter. It "dries" very quickly. If you don't work quickly you risk ending up with a heavy orange peel finish. You can add isopropyl alcohol to it to ****** the curing process if needed.

Oh and it stinks, the smell is just the alcohol evaporating off. About an hour after you finish, the smell will be gone.

Cleaning up, ignore the advice on the back of the tin to use meths. That simply dilutes it. Household ammonia will actually break the product down, rather than simply diluting it. Ammonia stinks though, so if the roller/brush has become hard, pour some ammonia in to cut up (plastic) milk bottle and leave it (the brush/roller) outside over night. In the morning the ammonia will have evaporated off, and in the bottom of the container you will have "dust" suspended in water, which can safely be poured down the sink.

I am only recommending BIN because you seem to be resigned to using it as the first coat. If you are applying one coat, why not apply a second coat? The alternative is one BIN and two eggshells.

When a mate of mine plastered the wall when I removed a chimney breast, he made me take all the soot off of the bricks with a comb chisel as he said the soot would bleed through the plaster. Mind you, that was nearly 40 years ago and products might have changed.

The parts I have cleaned with Zinsser cleaning fluid have not returned so I’m hopeful.

Sponsored Links
Coverstain is best or aluminium primer.

I'd need to look at Zinsser website to confirm.
I used coverstain on soot in 2020.

Edit.
BIN or coverstsin can be used.

Just remembered using Classidur on a job with my late Father. Worth a look @ their website ?

Just remembered using Classidur on a job with my late Father. Worth a look @ their website ?

Good call, I had forgotten about them. Expensive but by all accounts very good paint. I recall they had an emulsion paint that would cover nicotine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back