Painting over stained / varnished skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not long moved into a house, all the skirting and door frames are a mahogany colour and I've been told this just won't do ! :eek:

I've sanded one back in the garage where I can experiment and they seem to be a sort of MDF moulding. I can't tell if it's varnish or stain. It's not overly glossy looking like I imagine varnish should be so it's probably stained. I've never stained MDF before so I'm unsure of what the finish would be like !

Anyway I need to paint over them with a white paint. What would be the best method of getting a good finish that'll stick well to the boards ?!

What white paint also, I've been reading some yellow after a while indoors. What would be a good finish, I'm not fussy on gloss and she doesn't like matt, is there a happy inbetween ?

Sorry for all that !

Thanks !
Mark :D

Sponsored Links
Two coats of crown solo satinwood will do the job.

Yep, assuming the material is MDF I'd go along with ic1927, but some people can confuse MDF with some hardwoods because they have very little grain. If this should be case, and you are sanding it back, you should use the aluminium wood primer or a stain blocking primer like Zinsser first to avoid any resinous bleed.

Sponsored Links
Yes it MDF for sure.

I don't want to have to sand it back completely, there's just too much of it. I can give it a bit of roughing up tho.

What Zinsser is the best to use, the 123 Bulls Eye says 'Adheres to all surfaces without sanding' so that'll probably be what i'm after then !

Thanks for the help !

Mark

If it's varnish and you are only sanding lightly enough to provide a key then you don't really need to go down the (expensive) Zinsser route as the Solo will be fine.
However, if it is only stain (as you suggest) and you are concerned that it may bleed through the new paint, the shellac based B-I-N will probably be the safest bet. Most Zinsser products adhere well to the majority of surfaces and block stains well, but some of their water based products don't work quite as well with problem stains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back