painting overflexible rubberised dampproofer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have kids playfort at the end of our garden that we have inherited. It is built on two levels and the top walkway acts as the "ceiling " for the underneath bit. The walkway is made of butted up 6" x 1" tannalised timber and this has been liberally coated with a flexible black damproofer called "Dampprufe" (I found the tin near the fort.)
This does a good job at keeping the water oiut but looks pretty ugly. I am going to lay down a high grip strip down the centre of the walkway but that will leave the black damproof still visible on the sides. I dont want to remove it but want to know if it is possible to paint it with a brown/tan paint and if so what type of paint. It wont be walked on but obviously want it to be as durable as possible and adhere to the existing surface
Ant advice welcome.

Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Jim,

The problem often with these systems is that they not only do a good job of keeping moisture at bay, they often do a better job regarding the rejection of a paint system.

Now I am not familiar with your choosen product, yet I would hazzard a guess that any finish paint will not bond with the surface, so my advice at this stage would be allow it to weather and age a little then get yourself some aluminium primer and do a test area. If the primer holds fast then apply it overall in preparation for your finish coats.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back