Painting problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The emulsion in my house comes off the wall back to the bare plaster whenever we remove blue tac from the walls, or whenever there is any kind of scrape with a hard object.

The house is only around 7 years old, but was a private build and I assume that the owner either did not seal the new plaster or did it incorrectly.

I have just begun decorating my boys bedroom and following advice have tried to smooth the edges between the plaster and paint with sandpaper.

All I am doing is making the area of bare plaster larger, as the paint at the edges is flaking away!

I now have numerous patches of bare plaster over the whole room - and they all still have "flaking edges"

Originally I thought, Ok looks like all the paint is going to have to come off but three hours in to it with about 5% of the room done (in patches), I thought I better find out whether I'm wasting my time....

Wonder whether I'm being over zealous with my sanding?

Sponsored Links
It appears that this thread has been moved from another sub forum, if you take a look at the thread Alert In Diy Disasters you will see that I have replied to your question.

Dec

Yes, I moved the thread as was advised I'd get a better response in this forum.

I'm new to the site, but can't find your reply.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

No problem

It could be that there was no mist coat applied and the Emulsion was applied direct without being thinned, or it could be that pva was used over the skim, or perhaps old wallpaper paste.

You would be best to remove the existing Emulsion and start afresh, once removed I would advise that you washed down using warm water and sponge changing the water frequently. When all is dry apply a thinned coat of either an oil based undercoat or primer sealer before you apply your emulsion, this should provide a cure to your problem. It's the not knowing the root of your problem that makes advice difficult to offer.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Think you're right with the "no mist coat" every wall in the house is like this and there are a few other things in the house where short cuts, or ignorance have turned a simple "just needs a lick of paint" in to an "Oh...."

Any advice on the best way of removing the emulsion - so far I have been using a wall paper stripper until it stops coming off easily and then trying to "sand in" the join, this seems to heat the emulsion up or something because then I'm back to the stripper again on the same area....

Tempted to try that "Problem Wall Polycell" paint, but am thinking that unless it can penetrate the emulsion in to the plaster it will just stick to the paint that is currently coming off.

Want to paint a mural over it in the end so not wanting to risk it coming off

You would be far better advised to remove and start again, regarding getting the Emulsion off you can continue using the steamer just take care not to overheat the plaster as this will cause it to blow.

Dec

Sorry meant wall paper scraper, not stripper.

Message recieved though, no short cuts really, just get my head down and get on with it.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back