Painting render/pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thinking of painting the outside of our house, have read about cleaning any mould etc of not a problem, my query is, as our house is an end terrace, how do i get a good clean dividing line between me and the neighbour? as its pebble dashed i obviously cant put a tape line down or anything.
look forward to some suggestions, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Try dangling a bit of string with a weight on it from the top of the wall

Zampa said:
Try dangling a bit of string with a weight on it from the top of the wall

That would give a straight line for painting to, but what i am meaning is how to get a crisp edge on the finish between me and next door so its not all faded at edges, does that make sense?????

Like if u masked an area off and used a sprayer, then peeled of masking you would have a good straight finish, compared to just spraying and stopping, so i guess my question should be how do i mask of pebbledash i think, right thats everyone totally confused so if miss marple can decipher what im on about i would be very grateful.

Well, you could always chalk the string line & "Ping" it against the wall.

This would give you a fairly straight guide to cut-in up to.

Remember that this edge will be most likely observed from a distance, so minor imperfections will not be readily noticeable.

Sponsored Links
You could try using a piece of plywood as a shield and use a stippling action stabbing the brush along the line dont over load the brush and keep the edge of the board clean as you go.

Ive done that before...it normally works

thanks for the help il try the plywood thing out, i take it im right in saying there isnt a sort of masking thing i can use then?
thanks again.

Flash of inspiration!!!!!...Duck tape...that might work..its sticks like **** to a blanket

Sticking anything on pebbledash can cause problems because it can pull off the pebbles when you remove it, and those pebbles will be on your neighbour's side.

Assuming you are going to spray it, be sure to use airless spray and use a spray shield, which is a 10" wide sheet of aluminium of different lengths, 24" 36" 48" with a handle in the middle. This avoids sticking anything to your neighbour's pebble dash. A sprayshield will do the same job when you come to your window reveals, doos etc.

please note forum rule 12

Power painter..where are Lion Industries (the home of power painting)based?...wouldnt be stafford way by any chance would it??.. ;) :evil:

I dont think Elvis was comtempting using an airless..they are not for the amateur DIYer (as you 'may' know) ;)

Personally I always found dashing hard going with a spray system..if the peaks and hollows are to rough the paint doesnt go in without flooding it because of a vacume that can sometimes occur in the bottom of the lower part of the dashing...it often needs a roll over afterwards..making to whole task a bit of a chore

But, good point about the duck tape pulling the dashing off..which also raises the problem of the coating itself..if its 'rea' pebble dash, as in real pea pebbles there cold be an adhesion problem..

What is the surface exactly Elvis..pebble dash or rough cast?

Hi Zampa,

Airless sprayers are easy to use and many DIY people in America own them to paint their homes. The best way for a DIY person to get one, is to hire it, say from Hewden Hire, Speedy, HSS etc. or many local hire companies keep them. Remember that a classic airless sprayer can only handle "smooth" paints, textured (with sand etc) will not go through the spray tip (nozzle)

You are right about the need to roll pebble dash, for the first time it is painted, to work the paint in, otherwise water can get into the voids behind the paint and freeze in winter fetching it off in places. You can obtain a special airless roller system that you feed from the airless pump, but be sure that it is rated for the pressure of the pump, usually 3,300 psi these days. All this is similar to painting breeze and other block walls.

It is a good idea to apply a stabiliser to pebble dash before painting, as this will anchor the pebbles more firmly. Most masonry paint manufacturers do one.

If you are a professional painter Zampa, you should get an airless unit for your daily work, painting a house inside and out.

post edited, see forum rule 12

Now however did I guess you worked at Lion powerpainter :confused: ... ;)

I was going to suggest the pressure fed rollers...IMO far better on rough dashing than a spray...this would help counter the problem of overspray as you probally know, it can travel a good couple of hundred yards on even the mildest of days.

Ive been there bought the tee shirt to wash the cars with :(

From experience I have found the quality of a lot of the machines that can be hired is pretty poor..they use unknown brands and dont maintain the equipment very well but the biggest concern is a DIYer using one of those beasts of a machine after a quick briefing from the 'bloke in the hire shop'..they are not qualified to hand out information like that...especially the H/S aspect, we are talking machines that can pierce skin and inject paint, water or air into the bloodstream...possibly resulting in minutes to live.

Without going on one of your (very good) courses I wouldnt recommend anyone mess with these machines personally.

The use of stabiliser...id have to question that one..I can see what your saying about binding the stones but stabiliser is meant for friable or chalky surfaces and ts meant to be absorbed..it wont be absorbed into pebbles and could cause the paint to blow..maybe a thin coat of a pliolite based product would be better as a primer/binding coat?

I am or rather was a pro painter..and I did infact own a graco 495...fantastic machine..bought it just before the new models came out so I had a bargain...made my money back in no time...just recently sold it.

Was you at interbuild?..had a good and informative chat with the guys there this year about the new model..and if the new ICA's included a spraying unit we will be in the market for one..and one of your courses.

Word of caution...be careful about 'adertising' on here..the moderators will lock the threads or delete your post if they suspect someone is trying to promote themselves.

the surface is ermmmmm????
well its not the smooth little pea stuff so its the other, that make sense?
the rollers are they the ones you put paint in, similar to ones on sky tv?

Theres loads of different finishes Elvis..difficult to guess what the best roller is without seeing it Id personaly go the the lifetimer..its ten inches long and has a sponge middle to counter the bumps better.
I dont if thats the one on sky though....almost everything ive seen on there is sht...including 90% of the programmes

Go for the lifetimer...you'l need to get it from a trade centre thoughsuch as crown or dulux

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back