Painting spardash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to apply a masonry paint to the pebbledash on the walls of our bungalow this summer, but having bitter experience of the Herculean effort that it takes to cover previously unpainted pebbledash using a stipple action with a brush, I'd prefer to use a roller if possible. Its a fairly light dash, so I reckon that might be feasible.

Could someone recommend the correct tools for the job? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its in Wales, by the way. Near the top of a hill.

I suppose I could use a spraygun, but I'd have to make sure the neighbours were more than happy with my choice of colour.

do it in sections from an access tower, with plastic sheeting wrapped round the other 3 sides of the tower, to contain any overspray.

I won't say that on a windless day there wouldn't be much overspray because you live near the top of a hill in Wales :D

Sponsored Links
A very deep pile roller works, although you will ebe up really getting through the paint.

I always use a trade masonry paint and dilute it 10% water due to it being too thick to cover in to the gaps and crevices dashing tends to have.

It can help to wash down first via a garden sprayer to apply cleaner and a jet wash set on modest pressure (depending on the state of the dashing) a few hours after allowing the cleaner to soak.

Thank you all. Plenty of food for thought there.

I'll probably stick with a roller, but the spraygun option is interesting if I ever feel inclined to live dangerously and get myself an ASBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back