Cracks In New Paint On Pebbledash ?

Thanks for all your help and advice from all contributors to the thread. I will paint it again in a couple of weeks time subject to the weather and update this topic after the repaint. I think that my initial concerns about weathering etc. were probably a bit unfounded as it was Dulux Trade Weathershield that I used and even though I have the cracking, it should not get damaged in the next few weeks before a repaint.

Here's hoping......

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
I have the same issue as originally reported by Jack. (I know it's an old post but some things never change!)

The pebbledash on the bungalow is more like chipped flint than pebbles, but it is sound with no cracks. I painted an end wall with Johnstones Weatherguard and now there are cracks throughout the freshly painted surface.

If it rains now, those cracks are going to soak up water. I've wrecked an otherwise stable wall.

I applied the paint with a brush and worked hard to stipple the paint well into the nooks and crannies. Once the paint dried, all the 'valleys' in the surface have cracked. The 'peaks' are fine.

I now propose to let the paint fully dry for a couple of days, and then go over with stabilising solution. I might even do two coats of stabilising solution to try to fill the cracks.

Does anyone know the root cause of the problem? And what should be done about it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back