trade dulux weathershield paint cracking on pebbledash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My decorator is using the above paint watered down however as it has dried it has cracked. It looks like it has dried unevenly. My pebbledash is very stony
Has anyone had this experience?
Is it common?
What should decorator do about it now?

I dont know if this paint always does this on pebbledash?

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me like your decorator never sealed the surface before painting.

Painting external walls is a multi task job, you don’t just go at it with a paint brush.

I should have given more detail. The pebbledash surface had been previously painted and the decorator had watered down the paint that he applied.

Thanks

I should have given more detail. The pebbledash surface had been previously painted and the decorator had watered down the paint that he applied.

Thanks

Need a lot more detail than that, such as - What was the previous coating / what condition was it in / what was it washed down with / how long was it left to dry / how many coats of the "watered down" paint has your decorator applied / how much are the pebbles raised, is it deep / are the "cracks" below the top level of the pebbles or is it all over / has the job been finished / is it at eye level ?

Sponsored Links
There’s a lot of variances, which would make it very difficult for anyone to give an exact answer.

Even if the wall had been previously painted the likelihood is that it would still need sealing with a good quality stabilizer. If it was painted more than a few months ago it would be a good idea to give it a wash too.

Thanks

Need a lot more detail than that, such as - What was the previous coating / what condition was it in / what was it washed down with / how long was it left to dry / how many coats of the "watered down" paint has your decorator applied / how much are the pebbles raised, is it deep / are the "cracks" below the top level of the pebbles or is it all over / has the job been finished / is it at eye level ?

previous coating was done about 6 years ago and was dulux weathershield.
It was in reasonably good condition, just losing its whiteness really.
I dont think they washed it down at all, some of it is at first floor level.
The pebbles are very raised, They are quite coarse, maybe 8mm high variance from base.
The cracks are forming between the pebbles and have the appearance of a skin that has split. It varies over the surface, in some places the cracks look worse.
As it is all over, some of it is at eye level.
The painter has put a second coat of even more watered down dulux weathershield which I will see tomorrow.

The annoying thing is my neighbour had homebase weathershield put on the same pebbledash and it hasnt cracked at all!

Thankyou everyone for your replies so far.

He might of chucked it on too heavy and it dried too quick in the warm weather

The cracks are forming between the pebbles and have the appearance of a skin that has split. It varies over the surface, in some places the cracks look worse.

This sounds a classic case of ''mudcracking'' Where the paint has been too heavily applied and not spread out properly. Difficult really, I go over each finished section with my roller which has been rolled dry of any paint on next section, so that my now dry roller will pick up any puddles in the crevacies.

I would not apply stabilliser to a sound surface, only if it is dusty i.e. wipe palm of hand over and if still dusty after prep ok.
I have to sort out a job later this year where stabiliser was needlesly applied, and the masonry paint is now cracked and peeling in sheets. Yet the roughcast and original paint surface is sound underneath. I will foto it, if, my memory lasts till mid august :LOL:

Thankyou again for your replies

I called up the technical helpline and they say it is a common problem that occurs with pebbledash. There is a tendency to apply it too thickly and then when it dries it cracks.

The solution is they say to put on watered down layer, really pushing it into the cracks.
I can only imagine that this will take 3 recoats to correct.

What is your view ?

The problem is, is will the painter now take the time to correct this as it is quite a laborious job to do a whole house of this.

If he doesnt, then these crevices will collect dirt and the whole house will look rubbish.

God, Im depressed.. :cry:

First, don’t be depressed.

I think the replies have answered your technical question. The paint was almost definitely applied too thick and has subsequently cracked.

Your other question is whether the decorator will correct the error. I suspect not. He’s not done a very good job, but corrective action is a big job and I suspect he’ll walk away from it. Sorry, that’s probably not what you want to hear.

You have several choices; you can leave it, have it repainted at your cost, repaint it yourself or try to recover the costs through the courts.

I suspect you don’t want to repaint it yourself, which is why you got the guy in the first place. Having someone else repaint will cost you a lot of money. Suing the painter is a personal choice and one you need to take proper advice on.

Contact the painter and ask him first. Tell him the paint has cracked and talk to him about your concerns. Remember the number one rule is to be positive, but friendly.

Leaving it is also a personal choice. You’ve paid to have a job done and it looks pants. Dirt settles between the pebbles anyway, so the cracking wont make it a lot worse. The main downside will be the weather getting behind the cracks and causing the paint to flake, but that wont happen too quickly.

It’s your choice.

Any chance of a picture?

How much water has been added to the paint and was he covering the same colour, eg ..white over white :?:

The problem is adding more waterbased to try and fill the cracks will make the thick paint wet and on drying will crack again. I didn't agree with dulux advice lots of years ago to carry on giving more and more coats (well it's good business for them eh)
I maintain That to stop the thick and cracked crevacies from cracking again then a non water based product should be applied, Dulux all seasons solvent based springs to mind.
My own remedy actually, when I have to sort out fried, cracking masonry paint is to apply a coat 1/5 of Pva. followed by one coat of waterbased... perfect finish. I can hear the howls from you fellow deccies lol but I have done this several times and can show these jobs 4/5 yrs later and still sound.
as to wherter the decci will return .. well I would, but thats why I'm still workin and not chiilin out in some faraway paradise away from all this .. :(
Hope it works out ok ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back