Painting pebbledash (Dulux Weathershield Easyspray)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im attempting to paint my extension with smooth masonary paint having used stabilizer already (primer). Hand brushing will take my entire life and my roller is no good on new pebbledash only refreshing existing paint. The electric sprays are like peeing milk into a hurricane and the cost of hiring spray equipment is too high. I may end up paying a painter but that too will be costly. I have seen Dulux Weathershield Easyspray paint and sprayer which could be the answer but it will cost me over £50 to see if its any good. Has anyone used this?

Sponsored Links
I've not used it myself but just googled it.. Looks interesting!!! I'll certainly try that on pebbldash. But only got one job with p/d later in year...
I see you have new pebbledash.. Actually its not good to use stabiliser on bare/ new surfaces unless surface is real dusty or chalky. Normall process is one coat thinned down to let it soak in, then one full coat, thinned a little. Instructions on can.

If you try it let us know ......good luck

Is the Builder an Time Served Painter & Decorator !

In my experience Builders like to think they know everything about everything.

What type of Stabilizing Primer did you use ?

Sponsored Links
Wickes own stabilizer. It helped as the paint is going on much easier just takes ages to do. Watered down masonary paint goes everywhere its so messy. Stabilizing isnt the issue here anyway its about getting on a top coat easily.

Stabilizing isnt the issue here anyway its about getting on a top coat easily.

I am afraid the Stabilizing is an issue. If Stabilizing has been used on sound & bare surfaces then it may create an sheen. This sheen can cause the Masonry Paint to lose adhesion years down the line.

Also, i have not read the instructions of the Wickes Stabilizing so i cannot comment on it.

However, there is sometimes an danger when using different brands on preperartion of painting, that there may be negative chemical reactions. Therefore, i personally would be inclined to use what the Wickes Stabilizing Solution advises in these circumstances, in terms of overcoating.

I spoke to the guys at our local Dulux centre and they were surprised the Spray system was out in the UK as its been launched in Ireland and presented to the UK Trade but not even issued to UK Dulux dealers. B&Q must have done a deal to bring direct into the UK ahead of the dealers. They seemed to think it was an excellent way to do pebbledash but stressed the need to mask everything very very well. I think i will go ahead.

aussiewantsaps2 :
Give it a bash...let us know how it goes on.
I'm interested to hear just how thin/thick they've got it, so that it goes out of the spray o.k yet is thick enough for a "good coat".

Waste of time. Covers about 6sqm not 50sqm constantly clogs and needs so much pumping to get pressure its hopeless. Need two coats as well so the expense probably as much as getting a painter around. Bought a decent roller and now gonna try that.

Waste of time. Covers about 6sqm not 50sqm constantly clogs and needs so much pumping to get pressure its hopeless. Need two coats as well so the expense probably as much as getting a painter around. Bought a decent roller and now gonna try that.

I have spent the day using this weathershield spray and I reckon it's not that bad really.

1)Really need to prepare the wall, cover windows etc to avoid overspray, put ground sheets down.

2) Need to cut in around windows about a foot before you even start thinking about spraying

3) Easy to assemble unit.

4) You can only use Easy spray paint, which is thicker than I thought it would be. Shaking it around in the shop made me think it was really thin. Once opened resembles a thin rice pudding so needs 4-5 mins of stirring.

5) Doesn't take long to get used to the spraying action, recommends small circular action. You really have to make sure you pressurize up fully, there is an indicator lets you know when to start spraying.

6) Yes coverage is not great from a m2 perspective. My wall is pebble dashed and has never been painted so its sucking in the paint like a sponge. really does save time but first coat is patchy so the second will really do the job. Gets into the nooks and crannies so makes virgin wall application a lot quicker as you don't spend weeks stippling with a brush.

7) Price....this is the problem. Usual price of spray is about £26 and 5L paint is also about £26. I reckon my 1930's semi will need 10 5L tins + sprayer = £286. I got a quote for £450 for a painter. So you save a bit doing the job yourself.

BUT one of the major DIY chains are doing a half price deal on the Easy Spray range at moment so I got everything for £140 ish......so on that basis worth it

SUMMARY

Ease of use: 8 out of 10
Performance: 8 out of 10
Value: 6 out of 10

Overall worth it, give it a go.

Overall worth it, give it a go.

demirda, welcome to the forums, nice info , but i suspect that the OP (aussiewantsaps2) has done it by now, since it says

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007

I suggest you check the date a post was made before you reply. The rate this forum moves anything over a month is old.

I have tried this Dulux Weathershield spray today on the new render on my extension and it gets a definite THUMBS DOWN! :evil: It may be ok in a lab on a test panel but real life is not like that. You cannot mask EVERYTHING around the perimeter of your house, but you need to as this stuff goes everywhere. Also you need to use far more of this EXTREMELY expensive watered down paint than you would if you were brushing.

A great product from the Dulux beancounters point of view but from a painters point of view, FORGET it and trouser a large wedge of cash by using traditional methods instead. :D

Is the Builder an Time Served Painter & Decorator !

In my experience Builders like to think they know everything about everything.

What type of Stabilizing Primer did you use ?

My thoughts exactly..builders know as much about painting as I known about thermo nuclear physics.

Stabiliser is only for dusty, chalky and friable walls...theres no need to use it on sound surfaces and if you do it could lead to the paint blowing.

Stabiliser only used on chalky or dry dusty walls otherwise you could be causing yourself adhesion issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back