Paint crazing on new tyrloean

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just painted the new tyrolean I have had done following an extension at the side of the house.

I'm using Dulux Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint. 1st coat was diluted 5 parts paint 1 part water as per instructions on tin. I've then applied a further 2 normal coats. However, as the paint dries it appears to be crazing in areas - you can only see it when you get to about within 1ft of it. I've put the paint on as thinly as possible to prevent paint gathering in the valleys of the tyrolean.

As it can only be seen close up, I can probably live with the appearance, but need to know whether or not this could cause a problem in the future with the rain penetrating wall? Or as I have done 3 coats, would each coat have covered the crazing below?

Sponsored Links
you need to thin it more than that.

Agreed. With Tyrolean, the first coat should ideally be diluted by at least 20-25% water and the subsequent coats diluted by 5-10%, otherwise, no matter how well you work the paint into Tyrolean by hand, it will always gather to some extent in the pores of the textured surface and dry out the way you describe. Thinning reduces, although doesn't always eliminate, this problem.

I've seen this countless times, and as you suggest, each coat will have covered the previous one to give a good seal. As long as the paint isn't so thick that it will crack and peel when drying, there shouldn't be any cause for concern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back