Orange peel crazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put up new jointed plaster board walls and painted with B & Q matt white emulsion as a base coat. Unfortunately I did not water down the paint. Where ever I have painted with the brush eg corners above/below coving and coving the paint has crazed (and is spliting on the coving). I have painted 3 coates waited a day in between each coat. The paint is also cracking where I have gone over my brush painting with the roller down the sides of the corners. Could you advise why this has happened and how I can now rectify this mess as I have many more walls to paint and would hate for them all to go this way

Sponsored Links
You have used the wrong emulsion.

Is the Gyproc 'Filled & Taped' (Ames Taped) or 'Plastered' ?

Did you skim the plasterboard or just paint it?

I taped and filled the tappered edges and filled the corners. The rest of the board was untouched

Sponsored Links
There is Special types of Emulsions for painting new/bare Ames Taped Gyproc Surfaces.

The best on the market in my opinion is Crown Trade Covermatt.

Unfortunatly, you will always have problems with your surfaces now.

You will need to get all the B&Q Emulsion off the Surfaces as the the emulsion will never cope.

Did you use the cheapest B&Q Matt Emulsion ? (i.e. the big 10Litre Tub)

Hi

Yes I did.

I have sponged a small area over with PVA and this seems to have filled the cracks. Do you think I might now be able to paint over with a better quality of paint or will I have to get all the old paint of. This is going to be really difficult as I don't want to damage the plaster board?

Soak it with slightly warm water 3 times.

Once, then leave for 2 mins. Then again, then leave for 2 mins. Then again and wash off with a big sponge.

Do this in small sections at an time.

Once all off and if any of the filler is damaged then re-fill and let dry, Then sand.

Then buy Crown Trade Covermatt for your Ames Taping/Gyproc surfaces and follow instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back