paint crazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, does anyone know how to sort out paint crazing? painting (white trade dulux matte emulsion) onto the original paint (done by former owner, not sure what he used but to be honest he was a bit eccentric so it could be anything). The first coat crazed uniformly over three walls on drying. We tried a small patch of undercoat which looked ok, but on painting over it isn't smooth; also putting dilute PVA on the walls before painting again; and also tried diluting the dulux emulsion slightly so it went on better. This has made no difference and this second coat is now crazing. Hubby is not keen to do wallpapering!! Any help gratefully recieved. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Get rid of hubs and find a bloke who luuuuuuuuuuuuuurves papering?

Sounds like you have painted over vinyl silk..the damage is done now so there are no..'cures' as such.

You could try going over the whole wall with a wide bladed filling knife using easi-fil..then rubibng it down and re painting, long dusty hard job though.

Or what about lining paper?..then re paint..(bear in mind it might lift though because of the matt over the silk...so id do a couple of test pieces first)

Lining isnt hard and you end up with plain walls, good practice for papering, ..and you get to keep your hubsband! ;)

thanks Zampa!!

the problem is, I'm quite happy with my husband, he's pretty good with most other things, just had a bad papering experience back in '05 and starts shivering and mumbling to himself if the subject comes up now....!
:eek:

The coat of diluted paint I did yesterday seems to be ok, it's not flat smooth but good enough, and the crazing's not showing (yet). We've put furniture in front of the two walls where it's still a bit of a problem, and I'll get my dad to paper it at a later date!! Not a perfect solution, and hardly technical, but it'll do.

thanks again,

Vic :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back