crazed paint wall, orange peel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Need a bit of advice...I'm not a painter, I'm a plumber.

I have a 2 bed bungalow and we've strip all the wallpapers in lounge, diner, 2 of bedroom and hall and wash it down walls of paste so it completed clean.

We painted 2 coat matt eml paint on all walls. All walls is okay, no problem apart from 2nd bedroom which has crazed pattem, island like cracking.

I have no idea what cause it, I had used the same paints, same roller / brush on rest of walls which look nice and smooth.

My mate said to me it called orange peel, and it happen if it has old vinyl paint on it so I scrape a small area to see if it got vinyl and it does.

What can I do to cover it? I'm thinking of getting oil based undercoat then dry 24 hrs then final coat of eml paint.

It does not matter if it not perfect, just to get rid of crazed paint, or orange peel as they call it.....

Thanks.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Your mate probably means the problem caused when vinyl matt is applied over vinyl silk. Without good prep it adheres poorly and will crack and flake.
Your problem though i would bet is that the cracking has been caused by paste residue. Its is a real pain in the butt removing wall paper paste and its easy enough to miss a bit.

Scrape off as much of the effected areas as you can, wash down again and allow to dry, check it by rubbing a wet finger over the area (you'll feel the paste). Fill, rub down and spot prime with thinned emulsion and finish.

You could seal with OBU, but because i carry it on the van i'd use BIN or coverstain but its a bit trial and error as your problem is the emulsion is giving a reaction to the paste and the two have become 'entwined' so to speak, so removal is the best option but isn't always possible so sealing can help.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, it can't be the paste as we removed it completed. We washed it down twice with warm water, sugar soap, and then final cold water clean.

Lounge, hall, diner and first bedroom walls has no problem, strange that bedroom 2 some wall start cracking as the wallpaper is the same as rest of rooms.

What I did is sand down where it is cracking and cover it with colour oil base undercover, that was yesterday, so far no problem, going to paint final coat tomorrow.

Hopeful, will be okay. Has finished glossing.

Many Thanks.

Daniel. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back