Orange Peel Effect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to replace a section (one width) of lining paper (whole room is lined) and repair plaster underneath, then have lining paper relaid.

The room will subsequently be repainted in Vinyl Soft Sheen.

Currently the room has an orange peel effect and my question relates to the orange peel effect on the newly laid lining paper.

In the first instance, if the room is painted with a roller will the orange peel effect on the newly laid lining paper be different to the rest of the room.

Apologies for asking silly question.

I wanted as much as is possible to get the orange peel effect on the newly laid lining paper to match the existing one. I am guessing that applying a new coat of paint on the existing painted lining paper will not change the existing orange peel effect?

I hope that I have explained myself clearly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Rollers tend to leave a stipple effect finish, the orange peel that you speak of is probably due to incorrect use of the roller, not really possible to offer advice really other than you would be better off painting the entire area rather than just one section.

Dec

TheDec, the whole room will be repainted not just that section.

The room was originally painted with a roller and yes although I refer to the dimples on the walls as an orange peel effect it is a stipple type of effect.

My very simple question is if the whole room is repainted (which it will be), I was trying to fathom out whether the dimples on the new laid lining paper would be different and whether there was anything that could be done.

Cheers

I would imagine that the odd length of lining paper will be noticeable but it depends on how many coats of paint the existing paper has had as to how much it will stand out.

If it has only had one or two coats you may be able to blend it in quite well but if it has had several layers it will probably always notice and so it may be necessary to re-line the whole wall. :(

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. It is a section that runs into a corner so perhaps I will just see what the result gives and just live with it.

Cheers

Yes I did at first think that you meant just the one area, apologies for that.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back