Painting stained ceiling

Srv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to paint my mothers kitchen ceiling, I've had to remove the paint as someone had painted vinyl silk directly to the bare plaster and it peeled badly.

I've got it back to bare plaster and its got quite a few water stains,
I've been reading through the forums and it seems that it's best to either use an oil based undercoat or a stain block like Zinsser BIN

Would this be OK as the oil based undercoat ?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102627&ts=56069&id=18002

Or would i better using another undercoat or the zinsser, also should i do a mist coat before i use the oil based undercoat or use the undercoat direct to the plaster.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers
Srv

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, any oil based undercoat will do. or a stain block in an areosol. once dry paint over with the emulsion and you should be ok.

hi both,

I've got the same problem with the ceiling in my bay window. The only problem is I didn't realise there was any stain issues until I had spent all of last night painting and getting it perfect only to wake up this morning to see dirty yellow stains coming through...

can I paint over with undercoat or should I really remove the emulsion I caringly put on last night?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back