Zinnser cover stain for caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to prime some caulk at wall/ceiling join to stop cracking when the emulsion goes on,have read that oil based undercoat does the job but can only find water based in small tins so can i use Zinsser cover stain that i have?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think it will work. I have not used Coverstain but I often use Zinsser BIN.

For the record, I seldom get cracking when I use Everbuild 125 caulk and apply the emulsion directly.

Thank's oops i will give it a try,out of curiosity do you know why it sometimes cracks like is it a chemical thing or expansion.

I am not totally sure. I suspect that the caulk is still still releasing solvents/VOCs.

If you were to leave it for a few months, the paint when applied might not craze.

If you think that caulk is bad- try painting oil based undercoat over MS polymer sealants such as CT1. Weeks after the sealant has been applied, if you undercoat it with oil based UC the UC remains tacky for days. I have to apply acrylic UC first and then can apply the oil based UC.

Sponsored Links
opps,
Found out we have some paint boffins at work and asked them why emulsion cracks unless sealed and they said it's the solvents in the emulsion leaching out or being drawn into the caulk,he said a ****y coat of pva on the caulk would stop it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back