Painting Victorian Window Sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
I have a house built in 1903 and the sills are the original stone ones. well at least i think thats what they are.

they have been painted white in the past and look a little cracked and tired.
i am going to sort one out at a time.

What is the best way to remove the cracked peeling paint and what paint should i use to paint them back to white once finished. Do i need undercoat?

Also for the wooden part what paint should i use?
UPVC windows mounted inside wood frame so gloss against the plastic looks to much.
i used eggshell inside on the wood as the contrast was better between plastic and wood.
is there an external eggsehll that will protect the wood?

Thanks All

Sponsored Links
Once you have removed all the peeling fresh paint, it is essential that you should repair uncovered wood as well as voids using a high-quality outside grade vinyl fabric spackling substance. Then you need to sand these types of areas. Shrinking might occur so expect you'll add several coat. Finally, all patches ought to be spot-primed having a high-quality oil-base primer-sealer. These steps are very important to preventing the next coat associated with paint through peeling later on.

I believe that red devil one time is classed as a spackle.

Sponsored Links
Personally- if I were to repaint the masonry with gloss- I'd use expoxy styrene fillers (pretty much car filler). The finish is much harder than spackle and feathers perfectly. Spckle might be better for the small amounts of wood given that sanding will be difficult (spackling is easy to sand).

With regard to sanding- you only need to remove the flaking stuff so hire a DA sander with a dust extractor (vacuum).

I would agree that oil based finishes will give you a longer lasting finish. Not sure who makes the best oil based eggshell these days (all paints are crap post 2010 VOC compliance). Hopefully others can make recommndations- I have heard good things about the exterior Sikkens pigmented finishes.

To assist drying times add terebene to the oil based paints. If they drag because it is too cold also add Owatrol. Both products are a must if you want a decent finish that has a chance of drying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back