painting water based satinwood over oil based gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to paint over oil based gloss paint with water based satinwood, I have searched the net and am getting conflicting information. I have sanded the gloss paint to provide a key and take off some of the shine. Also can I just paint the satinwood straight over it or does it need a water based undercoat first?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
On the provision that your prep with regard to the existing gloss paint is correct there should be no reason why you couldn't apply the Satinwood, and you would achieve a far better finish if you were to use a synthetic bristle brush such as a Purdy.

Dec

Where can you get purdy brushes from, I need to get painting asap and will only be able to get to the diy sheds as i'm at work during the day? I could only find either Harris or Hamilton brushes from them, any idea which ones would be best?

Do you know what the correct prep is for painting over oil based paint with water based?

They are not difficult to obtain, any decorating centre, screwfix and most attached outlets will stock the range. With regard to prep add a small amount of household detergent to some warm water and wet abrade with 400 grit, wipe off and allow to dry all you need is to remove the sheen from the existing paintwork.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I have had a look and i'm not sure if it's a bit too much to spend £15 + on a brush when i'm only doing a little bit of decorating. Do you know of which makes are more mid range? I don't mind spending a reasonable amount.

If you are looking at the likes of B&Q then the Hamilton brushes are about the best they have but, having used some of their own brand synthetics, I can say that they are not bad for the price. (No Purdys mind you!)

All on THESE pages

It is often difficult to achieve a good finish using water\acrylic based systems and the need for a good brush is often paramount.

Dec

I will try and get the best brush I can in my budget, I have used acrylic paint before and you do see the brush marks but it still looked good from a distance.
The paint job on our skirting from previous occupants is not brilliant so as long as I can get a nice clean line between wall and skirting it will still be an improvement, they had emulsion painted on top of the skirting!

Thanks for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back