Panasonic DVD/Recorder DMR-EX77

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with a Panasonic DMR-EX77 recorder/dvd player where the power unit failed. I diagnosed the problem as being a couple of 'blown' capacitors. Replaced them and power up was successful.
After power up I checked all functions but what I now have is that there is come 'Cross talk' between the DVD/HDD player and the TV channel to which the unit is tuned. I don't think it has anything to do with the power board, but this cross talk was not apparent prior to power board repair.
I have re-tuned the recorder and restarted up from power down condition, and still this crosstalk is apparent.
Can anyone give me any advice on how to resolve this problem.

Sponsored Links
Just remembered, I had the same problem 18 months ago and I resolved it by using an alternative Scart output. Change the Scart output to the second available, Problem solved.
This maybe useful to anyone else that experiences the same issues.
Must have had an elderly Brain Dump today EH!!!!

Ut-oh.... audio crosstalk. That's not a good sign. It means that there's some damage to a pretty central audio processing chip that was dealing with the switching and processing of sound.

From what I recall of issues with other models of DVDR/HDD in the Panasonic range, this chip/board either isn't available as a spare at a cost-effective price, or it's not really replaceable because it's a surface-mount component with too many legs to de-solder and resolder reliably.

The position may have changed since I last recall looking at this about 2 years ago, so don't take my word as gospel until you've looked in to the situation in more detail yourself.

Here's a thread from AVForums talking about exactly this issue on the same model of recorder as yours: https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-dmr-ex77-fault.1563153/

If this info helped, please click on the Thanks button for this reply. :)

Ut-oh.... audio crosstalk. That's not a good sign. It means that there's some damage to a pretty central audio processing chip that was dealing with the switching and processing of sound.

Surely it is just crosstalk in a cheap poorly screened scart lead. Using the other socket which does not have tuner out would cure the problem, as would a decent individually screened scart lead.

Sponsored Links
The Scart lead I have is an expensive one which hopefully means fully screened, The second Scart out let I used does have a tuners outlet as the TV receives the Free View station signals, through the recorder and the DVD/HDD signals without the cross talk. This would suggest to me that the crosstalk problem is associated with the first Scart channel internal circuitry to the DVD recorder.
Clearly I do not know the internals of the recorder circuitry but as all is perfect on the second Scart output for both Free View and DVD signals without the crosstalk problem, I am pretty sure the problem is related to the first Scart channel internal circuitry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back