Panorama's Crystal Ball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to mention it again, but I just found this transcript of a Panorama prgoramme that went out in May 2004. The idea was that they were dramatising how the news would look on a day of co-ordinated terrorist bombs on London

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/programmes/panorama/transcripts/londonunderattack.txt

I seem to remember two lines of criticism of the programme at the time. First one was that the BBC was pandering to the government in trying to keep us scared, and the second was that it might give terrorists ideas......

EDIT - Actually the bit about pandering to the government may be a bit unfiar, but here's a quote from Blunkett at the time -

Home Secretary David Blunkett declined to take part in the show, and condemned it as unnecessarily alarmist.

"We are disappointed to learn that the BBC appears to have adopted an irresponsible and alarmist approach over what is understandably an emotive and frightening subject for the public," a Home Office spokesman told BBC News Online.

He said the programme depicted a situation that was "simply not realistic".

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Just couldn't see it happening, could he?
;)

just simply blind as to what's going on around him---------------are they going to get worse ??

Sponsored Links
Until Tone said 'Aye,aye that's your lot, til after my re-election.."
;)

Back