Papering square pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing up a dump with woodchip paper everywhere. The Hall is my next forage into lining and I have now stripped two square pillars with two corners squared off and tapering to a point , like an arrow. These two pillars support an arch which seems fairly straightforward - but the pillars are not! I have made good any imperfections and done half and half unibond and water to help the lining paper adhere. How can I line these two pillars without making a botch of the squared off corners and their tapered ends? I looked at the way the original wood chip was done, but the woodchip hides a multitude of sins!

Thanks, Peter

Sponsored Links
Fold the lining paper around the corner by about 25mm and then lay another layer of lining paper over the top (by 5mm or so- around the corner).

Then use a very sharp "utility" knife (and a straight edge) to cut through both layers of paper.

Then lift back the second layer (around the corner) and remove the excess from the first bit that you ran around the corner.

You will end up with a custom join that accommodates any "out of squareness".

I hope that makes sense, if not let me know, but don't expect a reply this evening- I will be drunk and celebrating (hopefully).

Do not rely upon the PVA (unibond), apply paste to the area where the papers will butt up. For the record, I do not use PVA to size walls. I would rather use dilute paste.

pillar.jpg
Thank you Opps for that - very useful. Here is a rough drawing of my quandary. I over paper from one side and over paper from the other side, then cut with a very sharp cutter...is that correct? Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter 1954

Have you managed to solve this? Only I've got the same job to do in my house! I don't really want to hide the imperfections of the corner.

The only suggestion that I have seen posted is that the paper should be set up to go all the way around the corner, so that it is sitting square on the top and bottom arris (therefore loose over the bullnose section). Then, using a blade, slice down the middle from arris point to arris point over the bullnose. The rest of the post however less clear but apparently involves overlapping the cut edges over the bullnose section.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Peter,

I forgot to reply.

I would cut it like this

pillar.101593

144710-1e000fd1d0d1b493bdd43b4015451455.jpg

You will end up with two tiny triangles that have no lining paper on them but once painted, it shouldn't be obvious.

Wrap and do the horizontal slices on the first piece of paper around the corner and then before it starts to dry, lay the second piece over the top and cut through where the vertical line is. Remove both excess offcuts and apply a bit more paste to the edge of the second sheet.

Erm, hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• pillar.jpg
    pillar.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 277
Thank you Opps for this latest answer - sounds perfect! I may try it out first on a dummy run, then apply myself! You, sir, are a pearl!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back