Paralympics - Irish player not disabled enough!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Eurosport - Thu, 11 Sep 12:37:00 2008
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11092008/58/paralympics-irish-player-disabled-enough.html

Derek Malone, an athletics bronze medalist at the 2004 Paralympics, was ruled ineligible after officials said he did not "demonstrate enough impairment of function in football" in Ireland's first match in the seven-a-side football in Beijing.
I understand that there are 'levels' of disability. I also understand that the Selection Committee has to ensure that Paralympians do actually have a disability. There are certain events he would not and should not be allowed to compete in. 'Wheelchair Basketball' would be an example of an event he cannot be allowed to compete in obviously... (but the lad may well end up in one in the future!). But its either an Olympics for disabled people or it isn't. Just like the 'other' Olympics, someone who cannot compete at the highest level will not be there. Whether that be due to not qualifying or by choice. Some Olympians move to different events as they get older as they just cannot keep up with the younger athelets. This lad has competed in the Paralympic Athletics and now he wants to compete in the Paralympic Football. As stated above, its is not unusual for Olympians to compete across different events. If we are to believe his team, he has trained long and hard (as would be expected from an Olympian), for this new event. And it would appear that that very training has been his down fall!

What's your thoughts on this one peeps? Is this decision by the Selection Committee right?

Sponsored Links
Bloke at work keeps going on about his son being "registered disabled because he has ADHD".

Would he qualify for disabled olympics?

I think it's hard to define ability and disability. Height can be a disability whether you're very very short or very very tall.

I know a woman, 4'8", who is entitled to a disability allowance due to her restrictive height. She doesn't claim it, but this allowance is intended for things like adapting a car etc.

However, I doubt that would make her "disabled enough" to enter the paralympics.

Does the disability have to directly impair one's ability in the sport? In this case, would a blind weightlifter be an olympian or a paralympian? What about a mentally-disabled runner?

So, the easiest thing to do is, assign a committee of judges who can say "Yup, you're disabled enough for us" or "No, that's not a disability by our reckoning" and take the flak if it's a stupid decision... but BEFORE the games. Not DURING!!!

Sponsored Links
Would a gymnast with bi-polar syndrome not be able to compete on the asymmetric bars?

Or would they jump every other hurdle perhaps?

:LOL:

Bloke at work keeps going on about his son being "registered disabled because he has ADHD".

Would he qualify for disabled olympics?

ADHD is just some made up illness it stands for parents cant be arsed to do their job properly.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Back