Parapet wall leaking damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have some water leaking into the top of a bedroom wall causing a damp stain under a Parapet wall.
We had a few roofers come and quote to fix. Each had a different idea about where the water was coming in and how to fix.
One said the coping stones were old and would be allowing the water to pass through into the top of the brickwork and down. Another said it was coming in via the eroded mortar joints in the brickwork and the last one said it was the mortar joints between the coping stones. With no idea who to believe we went with the cheapest option who said he would put some lead between the top of the wall and the coping stones and that this should stop the leak.

The job is complete but I still see water leaking between the mortar joint of the last coping stone. This runs down the wall leaving a dark stain and I imagine is eroding the pointing further and may well be penetrating through the wall. I raised this with the roofer who said that water was supposed to run of the coping stones like this. It doesn't seem logical that water should run of via a mortar joint to me. Can anyone advise please?

View media item 78371
Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Were exactly do you expect the water to go when it runs down the coping stones.

As many have been advised on here, and whats becoming common practice is to have the roofer/builder take pics of, before and after, the work proposed.

Perhaps you could post close-up pics of the roof side of the parapet and what work has been done?

Is the wall a solid or cavity wall?

Have you been in the loft and examined the area?

Do your neighbour's have similar parapets, and have they had similar difficulties?

Maybe use the Search facility on here to view the many recent posts on parapets and penetrating moisture?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back