Parkside tools are they any good?

Someone gave me a parkside mitre saw in 2010.
I have tried to kill it by using it every day even to chop small logs.
No chance!
The other day I was building a frame and changed blade.
Then I checked if it was still square: it was.
I never had to adjust it and I changed brushes only twice.
A freud blade lasts me for lots of jobs, so probably it's just a matter of using a good blade and knowing how to use the tool properly.
Or...I've been lucky.
I bought a parkside sliding mitre saw in 2020 I think it was, it broke the same year, it's still in the shed, I hope to find the receipt for it one day!!

I'm do have a couple of other parkside mains power tools that are still working fine (for light duties). You get what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
Why are parkside cordless tools sold without batteries or charger in lidl or aldi can anyone answer or anyone from parkside why is this? is this some new thing?

It's the way a lot of cordless tools are sold now, the Husqvarna 36v system is ALL sold separate (unless a dealer does a bundle, but there's never much of a discount to be had). The biggest battery is 31.1ah and costs over a grand!
You can pick and choose batteries, chargers, tools.

My Lidl cordless screwdriver is still going strong 3 months later being used for commercial use (non DIY so the warranty is void, but I wont tell them). Far longer than the Makita grinders I have to repair the cable on weekly.
TBH these days ALL the manufacturers are making their products as cheap as they can. So if it does the job you want for it then its often worth it to buy cheap and have it fail at some point in the future after its done that job, compared to spending many times more for something that although it will last a lot longer (allegedly) you have to find new uses for it.

The above was in 2017.
Here we are 5 years later and guess what?
The same battery drill driver I bought then is still in use by me daily 5 years later.
The battery may have changed more than once as I have several and a few have failed over the years but IMO that's the same with even the big brand names. I bought another in about 2019 and that too is still in use by me daily (weekdays).

Having Arthritis in my hands I cannot wield a screwdriver all day so this does me fine, which is why last month I bought 2 more of the same drill/driver + battery and charger for each, plus the little grinder (although that I must admit is a bit pants!) and I have the angled drill + 4ah battery and charger.

This Friday I also bought another as it had 30% off so I got the drill for £12+change and I cannot turn down that price.

I suspect the change to selling hand units and batteries/charger as separates was due to both battery shortages (still happening) and because that is what the big named brands also do and as such they can charge more.

There is a big following of Parkside tools on facebook with people having racks of them in their workshops because despite what some snobbish people say they are actually s damned well built bit of gear and work and last well - as such certain items can be highly sought after when they do come into UK stores.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
The above was in 2017.
Here we are 5 years later and guess what?
The same battery drill driver I bought then is still in use by me daily 5 years later.
The battery may have changed more than once as I have several and a few have failed over the years but IMO that's the same with even the big brand names. I bought another in about 2019 and that too is still in use by me daily (weekdays).
Whilst I agree with your comments in general, I can't agree with you about battery life on "big brand names" - certainly if they are trade brands you will generally see 5 to 7 years of fairly heavy trade use (I mark my batteries and other kit with the date purchased, so I have a good idea of how long stuff lasts). Snide (non-OEM batteries) seem to last 2-1/2 to 4-1/2 years for me with only a couple ever having got to 5 years. I think that what you are really paying for with the trade brands is battery protection circuitry (which cheaper kit lacks), but at times I have to wonder why I'm paying so much for OEM batteries

On the subject of Parkside, I admit to having a couple of 230 volt corded tools for home use, and as you say, they aren't bad, but I wouldn't use them for work unless really pushed

Last edited by a moderator:
You've been lucky. Keep dragging a saw around sites and bumping them round in a van and they will tend to go out sooner or later.
Been there and still going strong.
It pi$$es me off because I was gonna buy a "solid" one ages ago, but this one doesn't wanna die.
Even the laser still works fine :oops:

Just about completed my second grass cutting season with a Parkside 40volt cordless mower which has exceeded my expectations and the 18volt telescopic chainsaw for 30 quid is also very good the latter is in store now.

How long does your cordless mower run for and what is the width of cut, @lostinthelight ?
43cm width of cut and really fills the large grass box well.
I couldn't truthfully tell you in terms of time of how long the pair of batteries run for as I finish cutting 4 roughish areas of grass with life left in them.

Attachments

• 8DE5F7FF-DB3B-4C22-A3CC-DA045C2F09C1.jpeg
    8DE5F7FF-DB3B-4C22-A3CC-DA045C2F09C1.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back