Part L/ fitting rads in conservatories.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive been advised that any rad now fitted in a conservatory needs to be independently controlable. Could anyone enlighten me how you do this on a combi install. And does this just apply to new full installs not add ons to existing setups? Would appreciate advice

Sponsored Links
Who's gonna know or even check up, hasn't every radiator got independant control by having a valve on it.

Sponsored Links
Who's gonna know or even check up, hasn't every radiator got independant control by having a valve on it.

Maybe no one will check, but a valve isn't enough. And if the customer gets wise, it can cause a problem, think about the Engineer who does/doesn't know the risks of a pressure test

Still no wiser , so I will assume that the part L requirement for fully independent rads in conservatories applies to new/replacement installs only of boilers/ and full systems using zone valves etc . But how does Fitting a rad with a trv adversely affect pressure testing , ?? If there are risks shouldn't it be spelt out for everyone as every one isn't singing of the same hymn sheet.

It does not sound as if you want to understand.

The rule is because it wastes heat in a conservatory which is not being used. Therefore it is required that its seperately controlled like being its own zone with a time and temperature control.

Some Building Inspectors DO understand the needs. Usually the pedantic ones.

If you are doing this for a customer then its essential that you explain the requirement to the customer and if THEY do not want to comply then ensure that you have that in writing so its not your non-compliance.

Tony

Tony

I do understand now thanks i didnt read your other post answering me Thanks for putting me straight.

Personally, i can`t be bothered, like all the plumbers who fit bathroom suites and inform building regs, if you want a rad in your conservatory, you`ll get one fitted, simple as that. Regs nowadays only apply to new builds where they are inspected, applying new regs to existing properties is a waste of time, fit what you like, by whom you like, no one gives a stuff, least of all the owner getting it done on the cheap, he`s not interested in regulations, and if your a landlord, just give them candles to light their homes....

From the new regs.

Conservatories and porches

Regulation 9 of the Building Regulations
exempts some conservatory and porch extensions
from the energy efficiency requirements. The
exemption applies only for conservatories or porches:
• which are at ground level;
• where the floor area is less than 30 m2;
• where the existing walls, doors and windows
in the part of the dwelling which separates
the conservatory are retained or, if removed,
replaced by walls, windows and doors which
meet the energy efficiency requirements; and
• where the heating system of the dwelling is
not extended into the conservatory or porch.

Where any conservatory or porch does
not meet all the requirements in the preceding
paragraph, it is not exempt and must comply
with the relevant energy efficiency requirements.

from section 4.8
If you have/retain external quality doors in between the conservatory and the main house, then it can be treated as a thermally separate element from the main dwelling and then you need to have a heating source in there which is controllable and has its own on/off controls.

With most radiators you can cut them off by the notrmal valve and the lockshield, perhaps you can fit a trv and normal valve?

from section 4.9

If you remove that thermal separation then all the thermal efficiency requirements apply (as if it were a 'normal' extension), more or less then the only way to comply is to have all the elements of the conservatory at the highest possible insulation values, and to compensate for the heat loss here by going overboard on the insulation values somewhere else in the building. In some older properties that would be a total joke and a right pain to even attempt.

Who will fully comply in future on existing properties? Flying squad style visit by the local BCO? Unlikely? It can come up on the sale of the property, if the solicitor for the purchaser is on the ball, then the vendor takes out an insurance policy for the property against the new owner being forced to comply to the regs at some point in the future.

Use of conservatories in the winter isn't a good idea they are freezing, unless you spend loads on heating them. Suppose some people could afford to do that, but the rate of heat loss must be massive. Roll on summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back