Part P certificate

Surely somewhere between your solicitor and the vendor this should be sorted. Solicitors get paid a lot for their services - if they didn't get all the information requested and there was this hanging electrical LABC activity they didn't pick up on, surely it should be for them to find the vendor to sort it. Is there more than one solicitor at the practice -or even a solicitor's practice manager to complain to?
Write a letter detailing your concerns to your solicitor. Ask him why this issue has not been boxed off before completion. Tell him to rectify the situation to your complete satisfaction. If he does not, contact these people:
I'm no lover or protector of solicitors, but I'm not sure that one can really blame them in this case. A solicitor surely has to work on the assumption that answers to enquiries from the vendor (or vendor's solicitor) are truthful. If the vendor answers 'No' to the question about electrical work since 1.1.2005, then I can't see the buyer's solicitor can do anything but assume it is the correct answer - and therefore have no reason to look any further. If solicitors assumned that all responses to Enquiries before Contract were lies, and therefore had to 'investigate' every one of them, the conveyancing process would become ridiculously protracted and costly.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who replied. I ignored the letter from LABC and have heard nothing further from them. I shall see if I get any more letters and update post if I do. As some respondents mentioned.I do not blame my solicitor for this as he cannot investigate when an answer on the enquiries before contract is 'no', he like me needs to rely on vendor honesty.

I take it that as it's not been mentioned there is no question of the work which was done being unsafe in any way? If that's so, then I don't see that the LABC can do anything to you as the new owner, except try to intimidate you into paying money which you have no obligation to hand over.

If the work complies with the building regulations (Part P, specifically), then there is nothing for which enforcement action to have it put right can be taken. Everything else is down to the previous owner.

By the way, should we take your user name as implying that you are in Walcott and under the auspices of NNDC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back