Part P Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to a previous post, need some clarification on Part P.

Mate of mine is a qualified spark, NICEIC etc, and has been for about 20 years. He only works on commercial buildings as he works for one of the biggest office fit out companies in the North West.

The company isn't Part P registered. Is it correct that he can't work on a domestic set up without, essentially, the same route of paperwork as Joe Public, or getting registered (given he does no domestic work that seems pointless).

Reason I ask is he has offered to help out in my house but I don't want to incur LABC's wrath.

Seems weird that he theoretically can't do work in his own house despite working on far bigger systems than my little house.

Second question - can a new 17th ed. CU be re-used? Mate has one from a job - a new Wylex 8 way board that has been used on site for about a fortnight as a temporary supply. I could give it a new home but I'm not sure if your 'allowed' to re-use it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Doesn't full NICEIC membership cover you for self certification for BR compliance?

1) You still have to apply for DI status within NICEIC.

2) Sounds like it's his employer who is registered, so even if they were doing domestic work it wouldn't cover him personally for private jobs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Did a bit of digging and it seems that it (as usual) depends on the council.

All the Greater Manchester councils have decided that they will accept the works of a registered (but not Part P) electrician but as he can't self certify he still needs to send in copies of the testing and the homeowner has to submit a building regs application at the tune of £180.00 and get the BCO to inspect.

Based on this being an electrician for twenty odd years doesn't make a difference if you want to carry out 'Part P' work in your own home!

Seems a bit stupid and contradictory.

some councils will give a discounted rate to non-part P sparkies who do their own testing etc, ours only chanrges/d about £47 fo notify if you're qualified and send in your test results etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back