Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help. I've recently passed my 2360 pt2, and done some wiring for a friend on their new extension, which included a kitchen(lights n sockets). Seems i'm not part p, i got a friend of a friend who says he's part p to come round and check/test the work. He checked and tested everything on DB and filled in a installation certificate stating checked and tested all circuits. He told me to give it to building inspector and that is all he'd require. Is that true? Does he not inform/register it with NICEIC etc? Can someone please enlighten me

Sponsored Links
Well, he didn't actually do the design and construction, so he couldn't truthfully claim it as his own work.

The other way to do the job legally is to submit the forms to your LABC for inspection and approval, which I gather is the route he is sending you down.

Yes but can't i fill in the design and construction part, and him sign the testing part if he is actually part p registered? What is the normall procedure? Does he notify NIC and they notify council?

New2Game said:
Can someone please help. I've recently passed my 2360 pt2, and done some wiring for a friend on their new extension, which included a kitchen(lights n sockets). Seems i'm not part p, i got a friend of a friend who says he's part p to come round and check/test the work. He checked and tested everything on DB and filled in a installation certificate stating checked and tested all circuits. He told me to give it to building inspector and that is all he'd require. Is that true? Does he not inform/register it with NICEIC etc? Can someone please enlighten me

I'm afraid thats not true. If he is registered to self certify then he should have submitted the test cert number and other details to his controlling body who would then forward it to BC. BC then send the BC sign off to to the client. BC will not accept it directly under the self certification scheme.

If he was registered he would know the rules so I suspect he's not registered......sorry

Sponsored Links
You notify the council as you did the work.

Maybe your FOAF works for a contracting firm and is not personally a member of a scheme, although he may be perfectly competent and have the right instruments.

I'm confused here. So your saying i need to notify the BC that i've done the work? And give them the certificate that he's filled in on his testing and inspection?

If you contact your LABC I'm sure they will have a process for you to follow and a set of forms for you to fill in.

They prefer you to do this before you start work.

there will also be a BC fee for plans and inspection.

JohnD said:
You notify the council as you did the work.

Maybe your FOAF works for a contracting firm and is not personally a member of a scheme, although he may be perfectly competent and have the right instruments.

Sorry John thats not how it works. If the customer is not doing the works via the self certification route then then the customer must submit the planning application or someone on their behalf.

New2. It's very simple.

All electrical installation work requires a certificate (Electrical Installation Certificate - EIC). That is (and has been for many, many years) a requirement of the wiring regulations.

In addition, since Jan 1 2005, electrical installations in dwellings have come under the scope of Part P of the building regulations. The majority of such work is notifiable to local authority building control (LABC).

The EIC certifies that work has been carried out to BS7671.
The building regs notification certifies that the job not only complies to BS 7671 (or equivalent) but also complies with all other applicable building regulations.

Your FOAF has issued an installation certificate, but has clearly not notified LABC of the work. It is quite possible, as Pensdown has suggested, that he is not a member of a scheme that allows him to self-certify. But even if he is so registered, whilst he may still issue an EIC, he cannot notify the work of others under his self-certification registration.

So, you still need to notify this work, in which case you need to enquire about 'regularisation' - a retrospective means of gaining building regulations approval. Contact your local authority building control office, explain what work was done and that you have a test certificate. Then do what they tell you.

This extension would have had to comply with the Building Regulations - all of the relevant ones, of which Part P is only one.

At various points during construction, and possibly even before that at plans submission/building notice stage, the LABC would have checked the works, all of them, for compliance.

So - $64,000 Q - what did your friend say when he first notified his LABC about how he would comply with Part P, and what have the LABC said so far about compliance with it?

Also - am I the only one disturbed by the fact that someone could get to the end of 2360-II and not know anything about the legal framework within which domestic electrical installation work falls?

Fair enough it may not be part of the 2360 syllabus, but surely any conscientious college would find half an hour to go over it?

BAS said:
Also - am I the only one disturbed by the fact that someone could get to the end of 2360-II and not know anything about the legal framework within which domestic electrical installation work falls?

You would be even more disturbed if you sat down with a JTL training officer and discussed what is actually covered in the syllabus.

I'm sure Adam will have a lot to say on the subject once he starts college and I wouldn’t be surprised if the lectures learn more from Adam then Adam learns from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back