Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any info appreciated.My house needs a rewire,a friend of mine is a sparks who is 16th and 2391 but works for a firm and is'nt partp reg. He said he'll do it at weekends.What do i have to do for Part P?Do i have to inform the council before start as my friend said he's got someone who's part P registered to test and certificate it when he's finished!Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The correct way to do it would be to inform the council before you start, and they will take your money and do whatever they need to to satisfy themelves that it meets the technical requirements of part P, what they do differs, but if your friend has 2381 and 2391 etc, whatever they do in your neck of the woods shouldn't be a problem.

It sounds like your spark friend who has a mate who is part p reg'd in his own right, if his mate trusts him is is prepared to bend the rules and sign his work off as his own, then that is fine, but I'd check with your spark that his mate is totally prepared to do that, the last thing you want is him backing out at the last minute and leaving you up the creek without any rowing impliments...

Could some kind soul help me with technical info? I need to know where to get the relevant regulations for a complete rewire
is it just 16th edition and part p i need to adhere to??
thanks

chuckdha said:
Could some kind soul help me with technical info? I need to know where to get the relevant regulations for a complete rewire
is it just 16th edition and part p i need to adhere to??
thanks

The regulations are the IEE Wiring Regulations (sixteenth edition, as you've said) BS 7671.
Part P is a building regulation which contains almost nothing in the way of electrical regulations or practice, but effectively directs you to comply with BS 7671.

But, if you didn't already know that, I doubt whether parting with around £50 for a copy will really help.

Try John Whitfields, "The Electricians Guide to the 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations". You can find it on Amazon and in many bookshops. This is a textbook, rather than a set of regulations and pretty much contains all you need to know.

Sponsored Links
Hello Dingbat
thats great help--thanks for that --- i owe you one --need any IT help??--let me know

God bless

had a look at the text book. I feel I could sit exams?? for it and might as well get the theory done--would you know who to contact and how its done?/

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back