required qualifications for a rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What are the required qualifications for a domestic rewire and new cu, the same friend who I think everyone knows by now has got a quote from a spark, he said that he is a qualified electrician with level 3 cert and will provide certificate ab aswell as part p

Is this satisfactory or is there anything more?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
lol what does none mean? as in he has the required he doesnt have the required?

thanks

LOL.
Thought you`d like the blunt honest truth.
No qualifications are required to rewire a house

Sponsored Links
haha, ok what about to fit a new cu, and conduct all the required testing and certificates for whats involved in a rewire and new cu?

Thanks

Technically no qualifications are required to do any of the things you mention.

I'd like something like C&G 2360 pt 1&2 (or whatever the modern equivalent is these days), AM 1&2, C&G 2391, and a member of a self certification scheme

My answer, as you might have guessed was a bit tongue in cheek.
Legally, no qualifications are required to rewire, although it must be done safely.
You or your electrician are entitled to rewire your house if you wish.
Since Jan 1st 2005 all domestic wiring has come under Part P of the building regs.
Some of it is notifiable to the Local Authority, you or your electrician could do this directly a a huge cost prior to the works or someone registered as a Domestic Installer could do the work for you and register after the event.

If you read on this site references to Part P and also Electrical safety then all will become clear.

Thanks for the reply

I thought I mentioned in my original post that the spark is qualified with part p and will give me a certificate for all the work.

Is that all thats required now? part P

Qualified with Part P ?

What does that mean? as there is not such a qualification as "Part P" it is a building reg , no more no less.

If he is a Registered Domestic Installer with one of the 5 schemes then good, he can do the works and notify within 28 days of completion.

Hope that helps

Hi

Thanks again, lol yeh thats what I think he meant he said he would certify up to part p regulations.

If you or anyone could post what the requirments of a rewire and new cu are that would be great.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

I suggest you click on the link above as a start

If you`re electrician is capable of inspecting & testing (Having C & G 2380/1 and 2391 or equivalents would be a good way of ensuring this) and has the proper test gear then this would be good.

Strictly speaking , if he is not a registered DI and you are going thru the notification to LABC route then they should do the test & inspect if they feel it needs it but that could open up a right can of worms

Thanks very much guys, I am going to tell my friend he should just get an electrician off of the competant person site that you guys have provided.

thanks for all the comments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back