Certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im having a friend rewire my house for me, he is a fully qualified electrician with his test and inspection certificate but he is not part p registered.

Ive read this on a website (http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/building-regulations/england/)

From April 2014 you will also be able to employ a non-registered electrical installer who has appointed a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.

does this mean in theory "he" could do the work, test it and provide me with a test certificate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
He can design, install, inspect, test and complete a electrical installation certificate, but what he cannot to is self notify the work. You have to or he was to apply to building controls for the electrical work to be signed off, this application must be made prior to the work starting, if you did go down the route of employing a third party certifier to sign the work off for building control purposes, they also need to be informed prior to work starting.
Personally if you have a qualified electrician to install, I&T and fill the certificate in, I would not bother with a 3rd party, just apply to BC and pay their fee.

does this mean in theory "he" could do the work, test it and provide me with a test certificate?
Errr... let's think about this.

Maybe we could think about it together.

From April 2014 you will also be able to employ a non-registered electrical installer who has appointed a registered third party certifier to carry out the required inspection and testing of the work both during and on completion.
Is your friend a registered third-party certifier?

Your turn to think...............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back