Re-wire cert/ticket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys a friend of mine as just finished a full rewire at my home
He's up to scratch with bs7671 from the company where he works
Do I need get a part p of him not sure if he's registered or not what do I need to do ?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear.
Did your 'friend' charge you for this?
Has he notified the work to his scheme provider, or have you notified it to local Building Control?

No free of charge
No to both other questions
From what I read on the gov web site says I can pay for a regesiterd
Spraky to sign it off

From what I read on the gov web site says I can pay for a regesiterd
Spraky to sign it off
For building regulations notification, i.e. 'part p' the options are
a - notify building control yourself, before the work is started
b - use a third party certifier who you must get involved before the work is started
c - use someone registered with a scheme to both do the work and notify.

As it's too late for both a & b, and c doesn't apply either, then the only choice now is regularisation, which involves you contacting building control, finding out what they want in regards to inspection / testing / certificates, paying them a fee which is usually double the normal one, and possibly also paying someone to do whatever inspection and testing is required.

Sponsored Links
hi guys a friend of mine as just finished a full rewire at my home
He's up to scratch with bs7671 from the company where he works
Do I need get a part p of him not sure if he's registered or not what do I need to do ?

I fear your friend has not done you a favour, and may in fact have landed you right in the brown stuff. If he can't notify the work himself, then your only option is to contact building control and ask what they will accept. Be prepared for it to be costly and time consuming.

Hmm think I'll just leave it.....had me last house 10yr ago done same way
Recently just sold it with no probs....didn't declare it had been done....

Probably only come to light if you sell and the surveyor is on the ball, I have done a few EICRs for people who have "lost" their paperwork and the buyers solicitor has accepted it, lets face it no one wants the housing market to collapse over missing bits of paper

As an electrician myself. My son has just bought a house, mortgage sailed through, no-one asked any questions. My son didn't even ask me (he's not in the building trade, and wouldn't even think of such a thing).

No paperwork exists for the electrics, and quite honestly, it's all a bit shabby. But hey-ho, everyone's happy.

NB. Once there's a grandchild on the way, I'll at least be putting in an RCD.

Just remember that when you do come to sell, it's almost certain that you'll be given two long forms to fill in. One's for fixtures and fittings, the other is about the property. One of the questions asks if any electrical works have been done since 2005, and to provide details and certificates for them.
Should you fail to disclose the rewire* then technically you are committing fraud because you would be providing false information.

However ... I personally take the contents of such forms with a pinch of salt, well more like a bucket full ! Not that I have much experience but I've spotted errors on every one I've been given by a vendor. In one case, there was no mention of the fact that a retaining wall has been rebuilt a few years earlier - something I knew because I walked past frequently on my way between home and town and had seen it being done.
Not to mention, it's getting to the point where seeing someone say that no electrical work has been done in (by now) the last 13 years is more likely to be a concern than work that has been done :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back