Rewire (using existing wiring)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had a quote for a rewire on a house i'm doing up. The guy has given me a good price but says that he is going to use some of the existing wiring (after he tests it) that doesnt need to be changed. Can he use existing wiring he's not done and guarantee it. Can he issue a new installation cert for part p if he never bwired some of it etc?

thanks

Sponsored Links
He can but IMO it's a false economy. Replace the lot while you've got the opportunity.

He wants to reuse the wiring for the ring to kitchen and to loft i think. he quoted me 1200 to do it all. its a normal 3 bed terrace with used loft and celler. I had another quote for a full rewire and that was 1750. Do you think I should go with the cheaper part rewire or the more expensive full one, as 550 is quite a jump

Were they both recommended by someone whose opinion you value? Are they both members of approved self-certification schemes so they can give you certificates?

He might be wanting to re-use cables to avoid the trouble of taking up floorboards or chasing walls.

Examine the quotes to see what differences there are, e.g. quality of accessories; plenty of RCBOs; main and supplementary bonding included.

Sponsored Links
the cheaper 1 is registered with ELECSA, and says main and supp bonding included. MK 5/5 split load CU, New standard fittings, Kitchen and Loft to be accessed with view to reuse. Recommended by mate who has used a few times and says is good, quick, and cheap

The more expensive 1 is registered with NAPIT, and says the same, but using Crabtree 5/5 100A CU, New Fittings, Full Rewire. Recommended by collegue at work who had no probs when installing supply to garage

Decision??

Sorry, I can't tell from here. Nothing that jumps out at me. Did they both make an equally good impression on you? You might ask the cheap one how much it would be to replace all old wiring.

the cheaper one was dirty, he'd been grafting all day before he came, so seemed very busy. the expensive one was smart and respectable but didnt seem too busy. Do you think the busy dirty one or clean respectable one?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: you could visit your friends' installations and see which looks prettier

I think you are worried about the price and you want to use the cheap one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back