do you need registration to issue bs 7671 cert?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i know is not strictly a diy question but do you need to be registered with one of the part p schemes to issue a bs 7671 cert? i hold all my 17th edition, 2391 and domestic installer qualifications but am not actually registered with napit, niceic etc.

edf need to put in new supply for a new flat ive wired and obviously want the cert. my father who is registered usually signs off my installs but he is away on holiday so im stuck.

any response would be good edf are coming tuesday! nice of the contractor to keep me informed!!

Sponsored Links
If you are competent to do so (which if you've done 17th and 2391 you almost certainly are), then yes you can sign off a BS7671 EIC/MWC. Strictly speaking there is no requirement to hold any qualifications to sign off a BS7671 cert, you just have to be competent to do so (e.g. I've filled one out for my house where I replaced the CU (before anybody asks yes I did notify it etc)).

Whether EDF will accept it or not is a different matter - I'm looking at getting them to upgrade my cutout fuse, and they wanted scheme membership details, which I don't have. It appears they'll accept a building control completion certificate, which is fine for me, but obviously wouldn't help in your case since you couldn't get a completion cert until the supply is connected...

If you are competent to do so (which if you've done 17th and 2391 you almost certainly are), then yes you can sign off a BS7671 EIC/MWC. Strictly speaking there is no requirement to hold any qualifications to sign off a BS7671 cert, you just have to be competent to do so (e.g. I've filled one out for my house where I replaced the CU (before anybody asks yes I did notify it etc)).
The OP should have notified too....

Whether EDF will accept it or not is a different matter - I'm looking at getting them to upgrade my cutout fuse, and they wanted scheme membership details, which I don't have. It appears they'll accept a building control completion certificate, which is fine for me, but obviously wouldn't help in your case since you couldn't get a completion cert until the supply is connected...
Interesting - I hadn't realised that EDF only supplied residential domestic properties - I had assumed that they would also have commercial customers.

And do all the DNOs have the power to amend the ESQCR, or is it only EDF?

I don't know how they'd work with a commercial situation, I suspect they'd still want scheme membership details (just not require it to be a Part P scheme obviously).

Whether they're supposed to be able to require this sort of thing I don't know (not familiar enough with the supply regs), but that is what I've been told by them...

Sponsored Links
Can't help feeling that if pressed they would have to back away from refusing to connect if the requirements of the ESQCR had been complied with....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back