Loft Conversion and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please clarify my position re converting my loft and Part P.

My plans were approved and passed by Building Control in March 2004.

My BCO has suggested that Part P isn't an issue for me because my plans were passed before the cut off point and when i mentioned test certificates he wasn't interested.

Should i go ahead and get certificates anyway to cover myself in the future ?

Sponsored Links
Question;

aren't building Control going to inspect your work on a regular basis anyway? If so then I'm sure you would have something in writing by default!

I've heard stories about this sort of thing being the owners responsibility though and even if the BCO signs everything off i could still come unstuck if i haven't got all the necessary certificates ??

Edited to correct typo.

The only certificate you need is the completion certificate from LABC to confirm that the work complied with all the applicable Building Regulations.

FYI - this is from the ODPM website..

PartPtransitional.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much to you both.

Ban-all-sheds, i'm so impressed with the flowchart i'm going to burn my shed down tonight !!!

It's not that sort of shed I'm against.

I strongly advise you not to go out tonight, or any other night, and burn down the nearest B&Q/Wickes/Focus/Homebase...

ban all sheds.please ban all part p questions.
i have completed part p course,the course was really for the operative not to kill themselves when working inside a consumer unit.
got a nice certificate from nic certification saying i have reached competence in levels b & c.all for £400.00.
Think i will sone retire and drive a taxi in london.

kier said:
ban all sheds.please ban all part p questions.
i have completed part p course,the course was really for the operative not to kill themselves when working inside a consumer unit.
got a nice certificate from nic certification saying i have reached competence in levels b & c.all for £400.00.
Think i will sone retire and drive a taxi in london.

Cool, so your qualified now. Well done! :LOL:

So if I submitted and building work commenced before 2005 then the wiring is not openn to the part P regs?

If so what happened before this time?

Thanks.

Before then there was no Part P of the Building Regulations and electrical installation works in dwellings was not a controlled service....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back