Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have attached garage(not a special zone). The rear of the garage has a door into the kitchen. Also at the back of the garage is what I would describe a utility "area": pipes for a washing machine and an outlet in the wall for a tumble drier vent. This area also houses the CU. There is one light in the whole garage with a switch each end and there is a double socket on the downstairs ring. (It is not a spur)

If I get building regs approval to split this room into 2(utility and study), I will need to add an additional light. as well as some additional sockets around the room

If I do this work as part of the conversion, I assume that I will need to get it all inspected by the BCO or done by a Part P registered electrician as it is associated with the work.

However, if I decided that I wanted 2 lights in my garage NOW (controlled independently by the existing switches at each end - I think that I am allowed to add this without notification as it is included in Table 1 f Part P (Work that need not be notified)

Also, if I decide I want extra power sockets around the garage NOW, by extending the ring main I also believe it is ok for me to do for the same reason as above.

Am I correct in my statements above?
The 2 at the bottom I am fairly clear on as I have part P open in front of me. The statement in italics is a bit of an assumption (fearing the worst!) Please could someone clarify if I should go ahead and do the work now, or if I can legally do the work as part of my conversion project.[/i]

Sponsored Links
Adapting the existing circuits and adding to them is outside part P and therefore you can do as you wish.

I'm not sure if you'd need PP or simple permitted development for the conversion.

If the LABC are required to inspect the build / conversion then they might ask for smoke detection, energy saving lights to be added in. I'm pretty sure they could insist that the electrical work is to 17th edition and if so does your existing system have rcd's, 10mm earth to gas and water etc ?

If I do this work as part of the conversion, I assume that I will need to get it all inspected by the BCO or done by a Part P registered electrician as it is associated with the work.
Correct.

However, if I decided that I wanted 2 lights in my garage NOW (controlled independently by the existing switches at each end - I think that I am allowed to add this without notification as it is included in Table 1 f Part P (Work that need not be notified)
Correct.

Also, if I decide I want extra power sockets around the garage NOW, by extending the ring main I also believe it is ok for me to do for the same reason as above.
Correct.

Am I correct in my statements above?
Yes.

Please could someone clarify if I should go ahead and do the work now, or if I can legally do the work as part of my conversion project.[/i]
You can do either, but if you do it as part of the controlled work then LABC will impose their rules, which might mean extra expense or getting an electrician to do it.

That said, extending circuits should be subjected to testing...

I'm not sure if you'd need PP or simple permitted development for the conversion.
It varies - he may need neither, just Building Regs.

If the LABC are required to inspect the build / conversion then they might ask for smoke detection,
True - so those could be preemptively installed (linked ones) before submitting the request re the conversion.

energy saving lights to be added in.
Not if none are added as part of the conversion.

I'm pretty sure they could insist that the electrical work is to 17th edition and if so does your existing system have rcd's, 10mm earth to gas and water etc ?
Not if the conversion contains no electrical work.

Sponsored Links
Adapting the existing circuits and adding to them is outside part P and therefore you can do as you wish.

If the LABC are required to inspect the build / conversion then they might ask for smoke detection, energy saving lights to be added in. I'm pretty sure they could insist that the electrical work is to 17th edition and if so does your existing system have rcd's, 10mm earth to gas and water etc ?

Conversion of an attached garage doesn't need PP, however I am planning a wider programme of works, which WILL, so I will be applying all at once.

CU is a Memara 2000 with an 80A RCD.
There is a nice chunky Earth to the Gas pipe and another by the stop cock.

(The board states type tested to Pt 13. - does this mean regs were at 13th edition at the time?!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back