rcd in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
i have a box in the garage which contains 2 rcds for garage sockets and garage plugs,(with space for more.)

i am building a utility room on the back of the garage and am going to put another rcd into the box to provide protection for the sockets .

can i get away with using the current rcd for the garage lights,or do i need to put another rcd in for the utility room light ?

Sponsored Links
To plugs or do you mean lights?
I have a feeling you are mixing up RCD and MCB - and MCB is an overcurrent protection device and an RCD detects imballances in the phase and neutral currents (you may have heard them referred to as a powerbreaker). RCDs are distinguishable as they have a Test button.
As for wether or not you can do this depends on the size of the supply to the CU.
All sockets should be protected by both an overcurrent protective device and an RCD, sometimes combined into one unit called an RCBO.
You should also note that adding a circuit is a notifiable activity to your LABC under part p of the building regs.

was just going to put another rcd in for the sockets,and run the lights of the CURRENT rcd,which supplies the garage light.

how do i know what amp a rcd is ?

the current ones in the garage are
newlec, NLVB16 -SOCKETS 16AMP?
NLVBO6-LIGHTS 6AMP?

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling you are mixing up RCD and MCB - an MCB is an overcurrent protection device and an RCD detects imbalances in the phase and neutral currents.

Neither of the devices you mention are RCDs, they are MCBs.

The fact that you don't seem to know what's what, or understand what ratings MCBs are, coupled with the fact that the work you are proposing is notifiable and requires significant testing to ensure that it safe leads me to suggest that you should get an electrician in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back