Lower electric socket and options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im in the process of converting my Garage into another room and need to add an extra socket and lower an existing socket. In the garage there is the fuse box and an existing socket which is part of a ring curcuit. In order to lower the existing the socket I'm planning on adding a 30 amp junction box in the loft space and then run a new spur to replace the existing socket. I'm then planning to use the same method to add and additional socket into the room. As i'm adding a spur to an existing ring curcuit am I correct in thinking that under 'part P' I (none qualifed electrician) can complete this work.
I would appreciate if somebody could confirm if this sounds ok or let me know if their is a better method.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
keep the ring continuos it could well make life easier in the future if you want to add anything. junction boxes need to be accessable and are best avoided IMO.

You could pull the cable from the consumer unit to the existing socket back to feed your new left hand socket, run a length of cable from there to the next socket and then if it's long enough drop the other leg down to the right hand socket, if not i would be looking to trace it to the next socket it goes too or crimp it in the loft if it will end up unaccessable. if there is access to the loft then a junction box in an accessable location, up higher than the insulation and well secured would be ok.

Take out the spurs and rewire the ring from the CU in 2.5mm TE with cables in to and out of each socket.
This keeps the sockets as ring rather than spurs and avoid issues with the junction boxes. Cable routes down from ceiling void capped in 25 x 10 MT2 trunking.
With luck the existing feed on the ring beyond the old socket can be pulled back to the RHS socket.

So something like:-

CU-----------> socket 1------------> socket 2 >>>>>>>>>> on to next socket.

Key: -------- = new cable, >>>>>>>>>> = pulled back existing cable

Since the work is an alteration of an existing circuit it skips round Part P- although any pro doing the work would test and fill out a MWC for the job.

Have you got RCD protection at the CU ?

Sponsored Links
Concur.....

I think you need atleast one joint.

I would leave the cable in the CU, and do as below for ease.

JB should be accessible.

Chris - I assumed this was being rendered over, so would not be using MMT2. Either oval conduit or capping.

whh5iu.jpg

I would consider moving the existing socket to the right in your diagram so the existing cable reaches it at it's new height, and pull t'other cable back to the left hand socket position. Fit new sockets in your planned positions to reconnect the ring. That way, there's no need for any junction boxes.

You may not immediately have a use for extra sockets, but it probably won't be long until you do!

Thanks for all of your help. As 1John suggested I will keep a ring curcuit and come off the previous socket on the ring. TicklyT, the cable was not long enough for me to lower the socket as required, but thanks for the idea. So as as suggested i intend to do as follows:

CU ~~~~> socket 1 -------> socket 2---------> socket 3 ~~~> on to next socket.

Key:~~~~ = existing cable ----- = new cable,

I have RCD protection at CU.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back