Extending number of electric sockets in the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have one double socket at the front of the garage and I would like to add two double sockets to the back of the garage in order to run a tumble dryer and fridge, leaving two spare sockets for running power tools and radio etc. What is the best way to do this?

The existing socket is part of the house ring circuit, as the garage is attached to the house, and there is already a spur out this for an outside light. My plan was to break into this circuit with junction boxes and extend it to add the sockets I need.

Does this sound ok?

Would it be best to fit a garage consumer unit?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Garage consumer unit could be an option. Maybe run this from a spare way in your house CU and then have seperate lighting and sockets running from the garage CU. Is the garage attached to the house?

Or, you could extend the ring that you have to include the garage. This depends on the loading though and whether you fancy running a fridge from the same sockets as the rest of the house-potential rcd nuisance tripper one day maybe! :rolleyes:

Regards

The spur for the light is fused.

The garage is attached the house.

Sponsored Links
if its just the beer fridge, i wouldn't worry too much about tripping.
If you're storing venison and caviar in there, you might want to take a different view.

You could fit another fused spur adjacent to the existing socket, then feed from that to the new double socket.

although, having said that, if i can home to a failed fridge and warm beer :( i might get overcome with emotion. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back