Move double socket spur to different location in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got a double socket in my garage running off a spur from the ring main. This socket supplies the lights in the garage (wired into the socket) and the outside lights (powered by a plug in the socket). I want to move the socket to the back wall of the garage (approx. 4 metres away) where it will then supply power to a fridge freezer and a tumble dryer as well as the lighting.

How do I go about this? Is it possible to remove the socket from its current location and replace it with a junction box then put the socket in its new position? Or do I run another spur off that socket to a new socket? Please help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The spur should be limited to 13a via a fused spur unit, if it's a pure spur it MUST NOT feed anything other than 1 x socket due to potential wiring overload.

You need to confirm the total wattage of what you plan to add on to the fused spur and make sure the load isn't higher than 13a x 230v = 2990w

If it is then the fuse will pop, if there's no fused spur the wiring will be overloaded.

How do I go about this? Is it possible to remove the socket from its current location and replace it with a junction box then put the socket in its new position? Or do I run another spur off that socket to a new socket? Please help.

Depends on the spur being a direct spur or via a fused spur.

If fused then simply add another socket.

The garage is detached. The spur comes off the main supply in my house and goes to a double socket in the garage.

What is a fused spur and where can I buy one from? Could I not just add another socket onto the current one and plug in an RCD adapter for the appliance? I plan to run a tumble dryer off this socket (Energy Consumption per Cycle - 3.41 kWh).

Sponsored Links
The garage is detached. The spur comes off the main supply in my house and goes to a double socket in the garage.

You have been asked to confirm this, your language / descriptive makes it uncertain what you mean.

When you say main house supply?

Is the spur off a ring circuit ?
Is the spur off a radial circuit ?
Is the spur not a spur and direct to it's own fuse at the board ?

Please check your fuse board and via turning off the fuses, confirm which circuit the garage supply comes from- then post the fuse rating of the circuit and what area it covers in the house (kitchen ring, downstairs etc).
Do check when you find which fuse turns off the garage supply and see what other services are on the same fuse.

Then we can offer some precise advice.

In general- if the garage supply comes as a spur from another circuit it should be limited to one socket only.

The exception to this is when you fuse down at 13a via a fused spur- then practically anything can be added but would have a combined load limitation of the fuse (13a or 3000w or so).

I'd suggest you buy a RCD fused spur box. Fit that at the first wiring point in the garage and from there hook up all and any sockets required.

Don't go having the tumble drier on + lights + power tools at the same time because the fuse will pop due to overload.

i know a firm you MUST NOT contact to fit a socket in your garage, i'm a plumber and know enough about electrical safety isolation to know the video link i have just watched was too scary for words (yes i did watch it all as well) whether it was a media project or not to have that on an electrical firms website is "shocking" this will surely get all work cancelled rather than give some positive advertising. to think you guys in here give the plumbers pelters :LOL:

how do I connect all the other supplies.
You're the one looking at the walls and the space - if you can't work out where to run cables and have switches etc then you should probably take a step back and learn more before plunging in trying to do this job.

Most of the boxes I have seen are 2 gang which means there's one gang for the spur supply plus another gang for the extra socket
No - you need a dual box to get 2 accessories in, not a 2-gang.

but how do I connect the lighting.
Cables, and FCU/switch(es) as appropriate.

Please advise. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back