Moving socket in garage upwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a double socket in the garage (it seems to be spurred of a socket in the living room, the garage is integral.)

We are putting a fridge freezer in the garage (one rated for low temperatures) and the plug will now be trapped behind it and therefore not so usable

So, I was thinking can I move it up the wall simple by putting a 30A junction box where the socket now is, running a new length of T&E a metre up, then fixing the socket there instead?

It seems to make sense, but thought I'd check I wasn't breaking any rules and was the best/simplest way to do things. The garage cable is all surface mounted (run in trunking) if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why not lower it and go left or right ? No extra cable or jbox needed .

Hi, There is no visible cable for this socket, it enters directly into the socket from the back (adjacent room). The other sockets in the garage are surface mounted, with cabling in trunking.

It has to go up, only usable site.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, that's the socket on the back wall (which I want to move) which is on downstairs ring.

I would put a terminal block in the existing box (puta blank plate on it).
Fit a new socket and box above where you need it.

You can do what you proposed in your opening post. But it would be better if you connected to a non rcd proptected circuit, protects freezer contents from unwanted rcd tripping.

Thank you all for your help.
The socket which is going to be hidden behind the new fridge freezer is not the one we plug the freezer into! We are changing an old small chest freezer into a taller upright fridge freezer. There is a separate socket labelled ("non RCD socket - freezer use only") at the height I actually want the socket which is behind the fridge freezer to be at!

In answer to the other questions there are 4 double sockets in the garage - one is the "freezer socket", all the other 3 become non functional when I flip off the "downstairs ring" MCB at the consumer unit.

I've assumed the one I want to move is a spur because it is directly behind a socket in the living room, which on looking in has three wires in each terminal (well 4 in the earth with the flying lead). I haven't actually opened the socket I want to move yet but presume when I do if I see one wire into each terminal it will be a spur?

The blanking plate on the existing socket with a terminal block inside seems a neat enough solution. Is it just simple 30A connector block or something more fancy?

Thanks again.

The socket which is going to be hidden behind the new fridge freezer is not the one we plug the freezer into!
So why move it? Will you really not be able to manage without a socket in the new location you propose?

I'd be able to manage. I often use power tools at my workbench and used the socket that will now be hidden.

I could of course run an extension cable from another socket, it's just convenience really. If it were a big no no, I'd live with it - just would make life easier if I could have the socket a bit higher...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back