Running socket to garage armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run a socket to my garage to power a fridge. I have a socket located by my back door and was planning on running armoured cable from this socket via a fused spur to the garage. I have been given the cable today and with it two glands. These have confused me. Do I need them? How do I connect them? Can I do without them and just wire straight to the socket/spur?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply just a few questions though

1- when you mount the base of the gland (3rd picture) what is the earth cable attached to?

2- what cable should I use to go from the existing plug to the spur?

Sponsored Links
1- sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I'm new to this. Having looked online am I right in thinking this cable is called an earth fly lead? By CPC do you mean it connects to the socket eart terminal as well as the earth from the armoured cable

2- it will be running 1M at max

1) Some will call it a fly lead, some a pigtail and I guess other terms are often used, but yes.
This connects the the CPC (circuit protective conductor), you may use the term earth but not strictly correct. But it should have continuity to the mass of earth.

2) For socket being feed from a 13A FCU, 1.5mm cable could be used over that distance.

You will require RCD protection for the socket.

Having looked online am I right in thinking this cable is called an earth fly lead? By CPC do you mean it connects to the socket eart terminal as well as the earth from the armoured cable
Circuit Protective Conductor - the proper name for the earth wire.

The fly lead connects the armour to the origin earth.

If the socket which is to be spurred is on a Ring Final Circuit it will be advisable to connect a Fused Connector Unit to the socket (this will allow you to have more than one socket or a light in the garage, but be limited to a total of 13A) and then to the swa box with the same size cable as the swa, presumably 2.5mm² but dependent on the total run for volt drop reasons, which is the distance PBoD meant.
If possible you could run the swa inner sheath through the box to this FCU.

Should the socket be on a Radial Final Circuit and be wired in 4mm² (probably not) then the FCU would not be required.

There are probably a lot of other things of which you are unaware including testing to ensure it is safe before energising.
It would be advisable to engage an electrician who is willing to let you do the donkey work under supervision.

Sorry getting a bit lost now. What I thought would be quite simple has got very complicated
sorry did not notice one of your replies, for 15M of SWA.
But it important to know the circumferance surface area of this cable,
i.e. is it 1.5mm, 2.5mm, 4.00mm, 6.00mm, 10.0mm, 16.0mm?
You said you had be given this cable.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back