Running socket to garage armoured cable

Sponsored Links
It is 2.5mm cable
Re the fly lead this connects to the banjo then to the back of the metal box correct? Then where to?

So I would need another wire going from the metal box to the earth connection on the socket? Connected to the earth in the armoured cable as well?

Sponsored Links
2.5mm SWA will be adequate for what you are requesting to be done.
Is this cable to be buried or surface mounted, as it will require a secure surface to fix to, if underground then trench of around 400mm-600mm is likely best.

So in plain English I need a lead from the metal back box screw to the banjo connection on the gland nothing else. Then wire the armoured cable wires to to rcd one end and fcu in house

So in plain English
Have we not been using that?
I need a lead from the metal back box screw to the banjo connection on the gland nothing else. Then wire the armoured cable wires to to rcd one end and fcu in house
The earth that is terminated at the bango connection, is connected to earth terminal of the outlet plate, you can get RCD/FCU combos for the termination of the other conductors, one which will be the CPC from the SWA, you did get three core?

The earth that is terminated at the bango connection, is connected to earth terminal of the outlet plate, you can get RCD/FCU combos for the termination of the other conductors, one which will be the CPC from the SWA, you did get three

Rcd fcu cpc not plain English to me sorry I give up. Just need simple instructions put this wire here etc

right then the metal box for the SWA cables is going to be located where?
CPC = Circuit Protective Conductor (AKA but wrongly as earth)
FCU = Fused Connection Unit (the unit the spur will be connected to)
RCD = Residual Current Device (a device that is know required to protect socket outlets and cable that is buried within walls less than 50mm)
RCD protected FCU = A unit that offers both of the above.

You have a simple arrangement were you connect CPC (including fly lead from backboxes) to the earth terminal of all outlets connected to the circuit.
The live and neutral of the existing socket outlet, is connected to the supply side of FCU or RCD/FCU, then the cable from these are connected to the load side of these accessories. on the new socket.
Live to Live terminals
Neutral to Neutral terminals
CPC to Earth terminals
I would expect you to have the circuit confirmed and tested by an electrician.

If the garage is not heated, and the fridge is a standard unit rated for indoor use in this climate, it will not operate properly in the garage and will fail prematurely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back