Can ring main be extended into attached garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage is attached to the side of the house and shares one complete wall.

The garage has one double socket which is on a spur off the back of one of the sockets in the house.

I'd really like some additional sockets. Would it be acceptable to extend the house ring main into the garage in place of the spur, or is it going to need its own dedicated circuit back to the CU?

If extending the ring is possible would it be part p notifiable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can extend the ringmain into the garage & yes it is notifiable, also you will need the sockets to be rcd protected as they are likley to be used on outside appliances.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Shame that it's part p; I could have done without the additional expense. I’ve got to get an electrician in sometime soon to look at some kitchen rewiring and I’m sure just the cost of that will be frightening enough!

jj4091 said:
Yes you can extend the ringmain into the garage & yes it is notifiable, also you will need the sockets to be rcd protected as they are likley to be used on outside appliances.

I believe an attatched garage is not notifiable

Sponsored Links
Adding socket outlets to an exisiting circuit is not notifiable - assuming the exisiting circuit is up to scratch (ie RCD protected, fused correctly etc).

Could you clarify 'up to scratch'?

There is single ring circuit that covers upstairs and downstairs on a 30A breaker.

The CU is a Crabtree model that uses what I think are Type C breakers (big and brown). There is one spare breaker position available.

There are no RCDs except for a RCD protected plug on the mower.

Part P states that adding sockets to an existing ring is not notifiable "only if the exsisting circuit devise is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory".

This answers the is it notifiable question. Though I should also mention that part P also states the person doing the work should be competant in inspecting and testing work to BS7671, and will need to complete an electrical installation certificate of some kind.

The point I'm making is that it doesn't seem to make much sense worrying about complying with sections of part p if you are going to turn a blind eye to other bits.

The breakers sound like Crabtree C50, which are becoming increasingly difficult to source now. Slightly different from Type C breakers which would be worrying if it were the case!

New consumer unit would do you a world of favours, and chances are the garage issue would almost appear free if included in the job! I like to try and look on the bright side!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back