Extra socket - add a spur or incorporate into ring main ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'd like to add an extra double socket in a bedroom but I can't run a spur from either of the two existing sockets, so which of the following two options is preferable ?

1) Add the new socket as a spur using a 30A junction box connected between the two existing sockets
2) Make the new socket part of the ring main (eg. existing-new-existing)

Many of the floorboards in the room are up, so it makes no odds to me really - I'd just like to follow 'best practice'....or are both options equally acceptable ?

Also - Part P says that adding extra power points or making other alterations to existing circuits (except kitchen/bathroom/outdoors) is not notifiable. Does this mean I can carry out the work mentioned above without the need to notify and it doesn't need certifying afterwards ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Go for ring as all JB's need to be assessable unless special type with no screws and yes you are right on Part P

You should fill in a minor works cert though. Blanks available Here

Does this mean I can carry out the work mentioned above without the need to notify
Indeed

and it doesn't need certifying afterwards ?
The part P law says "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.". This requirement applies regardless of whether the work is notifable or not.

Approved document P (which is NOT law) states that one way of complying with this requirement is to work to BS7671 (also known as the IEE wiring regs). BS7671 requires you to test your installation work and fill in a certificate (in this case a minor works certificate). It is not clear (and probablly never will be clear since prosecutions are unlikely to be brought over such a grey issue) whether such testing is nessacery to comply with the law.

Also if this circuit is not RCD protected then it will not be compliant with the 17th edition of BS7671 though it may have been compliant with the 16th (which was the current edition at the time the part P law was made).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back