Adding sockets to ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to add a couple of sockets in a bedroom which currently has just two sockets on the upstairs ring.

I know I can add the new sockets and route the cables back to the two existing sockets to extend the ring (removing the cable between the two existing sockets) but I'm not yet sure until I check whether the two existing sockets are adjacent to each other on the ring.

Is it possible to extend the ring from just one of the sockets if I add a new socket very close to one of the existing sockets which will use the existing cable? Reason I would prefer to do this is I currently have an outdoor security light which is plugged into one of the sockets and would like to connect this to an FCU with flex outlet so circuit would be as follows;

ring cable into existing socket 1, new cable out of socket into new socket 2' then into new socket 3 then cable back to new FCU and FCU connected to the other original ring cable from existing socket 1 to reconnect the ring.

Does this make sense and is this an acceptable way of extending the ring without using spurs?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
ring cable into existing socket 1, new cable out of socket into new socket 2' then into new socket 3 then cable back to new FCU and FCU connected to the other original ring cable from existing socket 1 to reconnect the ring.
If I understand you correctly then, yes, that is the correct way to extend the ring.

Kind Regards, John.

Is it also correct that any modifications to a circuit means that circuit needs updating to rcd protection?

Is it also correct that any modifications to a circuit means that circuit needs updating to rcd protection?
Yes, my understanding is that the circuit will almost certainly need RCD protection. To be compliant with current regs, RCD protection would be required unless at least the new bits of wiring (and probably the entire circuit) was adequately protected (in metal conduit or buried deeper than 50 mm in walls etc. - which almost certainly will not be the case).

Whether the not the OP needs to 'update' to RCD protection obviously depends on whether or not the circuit is already RCD-protected.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John - I know it sounded like the correct way to do it but just wanted some advice to confirm.

xr - All of the circuits in the house are currently rcd protected already, had new CU fitted 2 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back