Can I extend ring main like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to add more sockets into the room thus I want to extend the ring main from an existing socket.
Currently the socket in the room is wired as such (a socket and a spur to the left of it):
upload_2022-3-8_10-14-59.png

My plan would be to do this (use wago connectors to connect to the spur and continue one of the main ring cables and then the second cable just continue the ring main via socket connectors as normal):
upload_2022-3-8_10-22-13.png

Would this work?

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Yes although I would use LAP grid sockets and four module back plate so instead of a double socket you have two singles, always got them from Screwfix.

The main point when extending a ring final it to look at the PSCC or loop impedance and see if by extending it will exceed the permitted limits. Same LAP grid can turn a double socket into a FCU plus socket, and once using a 13 amp fuse the permitted limits change so unlikely to be exceeded.

Yes although I would use LAP grid sockets and four module back plate so instead of a double socket you have two singles.
Downsides of that approach is it looks a bit weird and you don't have any switches.

I think i'd rather use the Wagos myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back